If you’re like most of the people I know and you’ve never heard of this fantastically odd loveseat before, you’re not alone. The Berties settee was custom made for a certain infamous English king: Edward VII. This article will explain the inner workings of a Berties loveseat for anyone who is curious.
It seems that every time Edward did the deed, he used the Berties loveseat. Because he loved food almost as much as he loved women, this was his primary piece of equipment.
Berties Loveseat Origins
It wasn’t until the future king of England was 60 that he ordered the Berties loveseat. He still made frequent trips to France to pick up new girlfriends despite this.
In the Victorian era, when sex was not openly discussed, the loveseat had a scandalous history, especially among royalty. So when the Berties loveseat was finally shown to the public, it was a big shock.
The Berties love seat was also known as the “siege d’amour.” It was featured in a recent BBC documentary about the young king’s extravagant libido.
While waiting for his reign to begin (he finally got the crown at the age of 60), Bertie grew impatient and distant. Because of this, he was able to adopt a more hedonistic attitude during the delay. His choice did not go over well with his parents.
How Does it Work
One unusual sex chair is the Berties loveseat. The fact that Edward, despite his size, was able to use the chair to his advantage suggests that it can accommodate a variety of positions for the woman. All the king’s schemes paid off, and the ladies were taken by surprise, to say the least.
In one section, a lady could sit in comfort, with the foot pedals anchoring her, and the handles providing a handhold. The man can also pretend to rock the chair while the woman lies face down on the floor. It was very sneaky, but it served the kinky monarch well.
Edward could have sex with two women at once on the Berties loveseat with hardly any effort on either of their parts. Since the overall design appears complex, and it’s not like we can ask the monarch himself, there are still many rumors as to how it can be used.
Forum talk suggests, however, that a man can stand on the metal footpads while a woman uses the stirrups and handgrips. To easily convert to a three-seater, a woman can lie down on the loveseat’s bottom and use the footrests to arch her back.
To Whom Was it Intended For
The goal was to encourage Edward to indulge his insatiable lust for fornication as much as possible despite his size. The Berties chair allowed him to indulge in both desires simultaneously.
Indeed, this was a game-changing seat for the stocky set. Unfortunately for everyone else, only the future king had the naughty inclination (or rather, the resources) to make the naughty loveseat a reality.
Edward’s favorite mistress in London was Alice Keppel, and he was a regular user of the Berties chair. Camilla, the current Duchess of Cornwall, counts her as great-grandmother.
Camilla was allowed to stay with Edward and his wife at the end. He was romantically linked to a number of well-known women of the time, including Daisy Warwick and Jenny Churchill (Winston Churchill’s mother).
Edward frequented Le Chabanais, the most opulent and pricey brothel in London. From this vantage point, he was able to buy off the most ostentatious ladies of the Victorian era.
Old Bertie, Dirty Bertie, and Edward the Caresser were among his many nicknames over the years. He is also the grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II, the current monarch of England.
Finally, on the day of his coronation, he had a special box made so that all of his mistresses could watch him be crowned. Edward’s wife, meanwhile, was patient enough to put up with all of her husband’s affairs.
What to Look for When Buying the Best Loveseat
There are many considerations to make when choosing the ideal loveseat for your home. Think about the number of people who will be using the loveseat, the space available, and the purpose it will serve in the room. When searching for the ideal loveseat for your space, keep the following details in mind.
There is a wide variety of loveseats, each with its own style and set of features.
- Couches that recline increase in height and depth. In comparison to their powered counterparts, manual recliners are cheaper and more flexible in terms of placement because of their use of a lever or tab.
- Futon loveseatsfunction as both a sofa and a bed. Wood, metal, or a combination of the two is used to construct the frame. You won’t get any frame feel thanks to the thick layers of the mattress.
- Comfy outdoor sofascan bring a reassuring warmth to Garden furnishings Wicker, teak, cedar, and even most metal frames provide superior weather resistance for outdoor love seats.
The standard length of a loveseat is between 40.5 and 72 inches, making it flexible enough to fit in a variety of rooms. Typically, the depth is between 28 and 36 inches, and the height is between 33 and 40 inches.
For the frame of a loveseat to last for many years, it must be made of sturdy materials. Longevity is the norm for frames made from real wood and fastened with screws or nails. A double-doweled, corner-blocked, kiln-dried wood frame, for instance, can withstand the test of time for up to ten years.
Metal is the best choice for a frame because of its durability and longevity. However, a metal frame can eventually cause uncomfortable pressure points if the cushions aren’t restuffed on a regular basis. You can test the loveseat’s durability by running your hand over it and making sure you don’t feel any rough spots where the frame meets the upholstery.
Thin, easily worn fabric isn’t going to keep you comfortable or looking good for very long. Popular choices for loveseat upholstery include:
- Polyester is a popular choice for sofas due to its durability and resistance to water and stains.
- Vinyl Chloride Polymer (PVC) aesthetically similar to leather but more durable in the face of moisture.
- Polyurethane is a second well-liked fabric choice. It can withstand water, stains, and cuts and punctures thanks to its enhanced torsion strength and lack of elasticity.
- Leather is incredibly long-lasting and resistant to decay over time. It’s the most luxurious and expensive type of upholstery available.
- Upholstery made of fake leather is tough and long-lasting, too, holding up well against wear and tear without cracking or peeling like real leather would.
Make sure to look at the fabric’s double rub (DR) rating before buying. To find out how many times you can sit in the same spot (and thus “rub” against the fabric) before it wears out, multiply your seat’s width by 0.0001. A DR of 15,000 or higher will guarantee the durability of a loveseat in a busy household. To put that in perspective, office furniture usually has to have a DR of 35,000 or higher.
The springs and cushion stuffing of a loveseat are just as important as the upholstery to make it comfortable to sit on. You can test the quality of the springs by pressing down on them through the upholstery once the cushions have been removed. Place them closely together and uniformly spaced to ensure a comfortable level of firm support without excessive give.
There is a wide variety of cushion inserts to choose from.
- Foam polyurethane is a common component of cushion filling, with higher density resulting in a firmer cushion.
- Durable Polyurethane Foam is soft and long-lasting in use.
- Feathered goose down filling is costly and requires regular maintenance—you should budget time to fluff it regularly.
- Goose down and feathers encased in high-density foam combines suppleness with durability and ease of use.
For those who favor perching one’s drink on a loveseat’s arm, here’s a pillow or a back, search for a chair with armrests measuring 7 inches to 9 inches in height.
There is a wide variety of loveseats to choose from, each with its own character and set of features.
- Contemporary The modern loveseat is a reinterpretation of a traditional form.
- Midcentury There was a heyday for the loveseat from 1945 to 1969, and now it’s making a comeback. This design style features clean, contemporary lines and shapes.
- Tufted Fabrics on a loveseat typically get pulled together and folded into a geometric pattern before being fastened with buttons.
- Lawson Loveseats’ back cushions are not attached to the furniture’s structure. This results in a couch with more give and comfort. They have a straightforward form and an option of rolled or squared off arms.
- a rolled English arm Typically, a loveseat will have a high back and low, rolled arms. The traditionally elegant short-turned legs are a nice touch.
- Bridgewater Similarly, loveseats feature a high back and low, rolled arms, but in a more relaxed and informal design.
- Camelback The back of a loveseat is higher in the middle and slopes continuously down to the arms. Modern camelback loveseats have padded backs and arms, while antique ones have exposed wooden legs and a wooden top.
Colors and Patterns
A loveseat can be purchased in an infinite variety of fabrics and hues. Think about where you’ll put it and if you’ll need to move it at some point. If you plan to put a loveseat in front of a particularly bright window, you might want to select a lighter shade or pattern.
A loveseat with a pattern could be a daring and entertaining option for those furnishing a larger room with mostly solid-color pieces. A solid, neutral color might be more practical for a small apartment or dorm room. The frame’s color and sheen may be customizable in some cases.
Accessories are available for some loveseats that expand their usefulness. Some examples of these add-ons are center consoles with cupholders, storage areas, and even secret areas with hidden power outlets and USB ports for charging electronic devices. An ottoman can be purchased separately to complement some loveseats.
The Best Loveseats of 2022
Products from a wide range of categories have been hand-picked as the best available using the criteria outlined above. Keep reading to learn about some of the most space-efficient loveseats available.
Pottery Barn Turner Square Arm Leather Sofa
The Turner Square Loveseat from Pottery Barn is an elegant and adaptable sofa that would look great in any room of the house. This comfy loveseat maintains its shape and level on any surface thanks to its kiln-dried wooden frame, top-notch joinery, and adjustable feet.
The loveseat is 64.5 inches in length, but there are also options up to 103.5 inches in length for shoppers to consider. The top grain leather sofa can be customized in 35 different ways, including the number of seat cushions, the style of arm (roll or sloped), and the color. Since each hide is unique, genuine leather will naturally have color and texture variations and should be kept out of direct sunlight to preserve its appearance.
This loveseat is constructed with a high back, thick arms, and foam cushions wrapped in a down blend and filled with polyester. Loose cushions allow for easier removal and cleaning, which is especially useful when dealing with leather, which must be cleaned with specialized products. This loveseat will retain its like-new condition for a long time with regular cleaning.
- Upholstery: Leather
- Dimensions:Sofas are also available in sizes larger than 64.538.535 inches.
- Seating: 2 people
- Premium, break-in-friendly top-grain leather
- Fluffy cushions stuffed with a down/feather blend
- Mortise and tenon construction for a long-lasting wooden frame.
- Variations in color and texture are natural features of genuine leather.
- calls for meticulous cleaning procedures
- Fades over time if exposed to sunlight.
Novogratz Leyla 60″ Tight Back Convertible Sofa
The Andover Mills loveseat is the quintessential example of a traditional, cozy loveseat. This loveseat is upholstered in dark gray or coffee microfiber, which is long-lasting, pet- and kid-friendly, and simple to clean. The fabric can be spot cleaned with soap and water, but a fabric water shield like Scotchgard should be avoided (it will invalidate the warranty).
The loveseat’s curved arm and traditional profile are the result of the wood frame being crafted from kiln-dried eucalyptus. Up to 300 lbs. can be supported by the structure without any issues. It’s a great spot to sit for most people because of its medium-range height, backrest, and depth, and it has some storage space underneath. High density foam cushions atop the loveseat provide extra softness without making anyone feel like they’re sinking into the furniture.
Features and Benefits of the Item
- Upholstery: Microfiber
- Dimensions: Size:56.3 x 31.5 x 33.86 inches
- Seating: 2 people
- Quick and easy set-up
- Cushioning of the highest density foam
- Separately available couch and chair options
- With under-seat space,
- Cleaning attached seat cushions is a pain.
- Scotchgard is ineffective on foam cushions.
Novogratz Leyla 60″ Tight Back Convertible Sofa
Novogratz’s Leyla 60-inch convertible sofa can be set up in four different ways: as a loveseat, as a loveseat with both arms lowered halfway, as a lounge chair with one arm fully lowered, or as a futon with a mattress thickness of 7.5 inches. This loveseat is a contemporary take on the classic, with its tufted seat, daring seams, and chrome silver legs.
Linen completely covers the metal frame of this love seat. It has room for two people and can support up to 400 pounds between them. There is a large pocket on the outer side of both arms, perfect for storing a book, magazines, or the TV remote. The futon’s single bed is just the right size for a night’s sleep.
Polyurethane foam is used to fill the cushions of the loveseat, making them more firm. The mildew-resistant fabric only requires a damp cloth to clean. There are nine different colors to choose from, ranging from bright to subdued: black, navy blue, teal, berry, burnt orange, mustard yellow, gray, light gray, and tan.
- Upholstery: Linen that is 100 percent linen
- Dimensions: Dimensions: 32 x 32 x 60
- Seating: 2 people
- Flips into four varied configurations
- Fabric that doesn’t mildew
- Arms stuffed with pockets for storage
- Choice of many different hues
- Futon movement can cause contents of pockets to fall
- Not a good option for extended stays.
West Elm Finn Sofa
This cozy loveseat is available in around 16 different color and fabric combos. Cotton, microfiber, linen, canvas, and twill are just a few of the many materials that can be used. The instructions suggest using a damp sponge or cloth to spot clean any spills and then blotting them dry. Wheat, Oatmeal, and Frost Gray are on the more subdued end of the spectrum, while Chili, Aegean Blue, and Eucalyptus are on the more vibrant side.
Modern and contemporary design served as inspiration for this loveseat’s tailored lines, solid wood frame, and sinuous spring support. It has been certified as having low VOC emissions and has earned the GREENGUARD certification. You can modify your experience by selecting from three different seating positions: standard, reclined, or fully flat.
Particulars of the Item Being Sold
- Upholstery: Options ranging from plush velvet to rugged canvas
- Dimensions: Dimensions: 71 x 36 x 32
- Seating: (Two or Three)
- Modifiable hues and textures
- There are three obtainable levels of elevation
- Verified as GREENGUARD and having a low VOC
- It’s 45 inches deep for a futon.
- Raise the head and feet while in the futon position.
- Only clean in small areas
Andover Mills Edgar Reclining Sofa
This sofa or loveseat can be converted into a multipurpose couch by folding down the console in the center, making it ideal for larger homes with only two occupants. When collapsed, the sofa becomes a standalone loveseat complete with a flat-top center console and integrated cupholders. By turning the console on its side, the loveseat can be transformed into a smaller sofa with additional seating.
In addition to its useful features, this loveseat also has a beautiful design that works in both contemporary and classic settings. It’s upholstered in a vinyl faux-leather material that’s plush without being cumbersome. The sophisticated dark brown finish makes it a popular pick for many residences. Choose the 61-inch loveseat instead, as it does not have a console that folds down.
- Upholstery: Pretend leather
- Dimensions: Dimensions: 38.5″ x 81″ x 38″
- Seating: For a group of 2 or 3
- Low-priced electric reclining chair
- Outsized style
- Consola centralis opzionale
- Integrated drink holders
- Requires Assembling
- We can only offer one color for the upholstery.
Best Choice Products Faux Leather Upholstered Modern
This dramatic and flashy Etta Avenue loveseat measures in at just 47 inches in width. This compact loveseat has a simple form and is easier to fit into tight spaces because it lacks arms. This chair has a weight capacity of 500 pounds despite weighing only 43 pounds and having a very basic design.
The loveseat may be purchased in 14 various colors, despite its compact size. The channel tufting on the back cushion is characteristic of mid-century furniture. Foam cushions and springs offer just the right amount of comfort, if a little firm for some tastes, and the sturdy wooden frame and flared metal legs create a compact but beautiful shape.
This loveseat will look great as a decorative accent in any compact space as long as you keep it clean by wiping down dirty areas with noncolor mild soap and warm water.
- Upholstery: Velvety Polyester
- Dimensions: Dimensions: 47 x 30.5 x 31.5
- Seating: 2 people
- Simple enough for two people to put together
- Plush, comfortable polyester upholstery
- Holds as much as 500 lbs.
- Only clean in small areas
- Not made for cushy relaxation
Winston Porter Arrionna 50.4” Wide Outdoor Loveseat
Winston Porter’s wicker-like outdoor patio loveseat is an attractive, low-maintenance seating option by the pool or on the balcony. It is constructed of polyester resin wicker that is both rust-proof and weather-resistant. This loveseat is resistant to the unraveling, fraying, and fading that characterizes real rattan and wicker, as well as the harmful effects of the sun and mildew.
The frame is visually appealing thanks to its rounded back, sloped arms, and curved sides; two foam-filled polyester cushions sit atop the frame. The removable and washable seat covers are 2 inches thick. Some users may find the frame’s backrest to be too stiff and thus seek out additional pillows.
You can’t go wrong with either brown or graphite for your outdoor furniture. Soap and water, along with a gentle cloth, will suffice to clean either color.
- Upholstery: Cushions and wicker frame made of polyester resin
- Dimensions: It measures 50.4″ by 27.6″ by 31.1″
- Seating: 2 people
- Soft, removable foam padding
- Easy to disinfect
- Structure and padding are impervious to moisture.
- You can get a patio table and chairs that match if you want to.
- The need for more pillows is increased by the presence of a hard backing.
- Requires cold storage to maintain quality and freshness.
How We Chose the Best Loveseats
In order to compile our top-notch loveseat recommendations, we read dozens of reviews. Several factors were considered important during our investigation:
- Even the most comfortable loveseat can only support so much weight. These seats may be on the diminutive side, but they should be able to accommodate two adults of average size with no problem.
- Quality can be roughly gauged by how well-known a brand is. We were careful to only buy loveseats from companies with stellar reputations for support.
- We also consider the loveseats’ quality and durability, keeping in mind that different materials age in different ways.
- We looked for the best loveseat options that would work in both smaller and larger rooms as space is a premium in every home.
- The majority of our options (with the exception of the leather loveseats, which need specialized care) are designed to be low-maintenance, allowing customers to spend more time relaxing on their purchase.
Read on for some of the most frequently asked questions about loveseats and other soft seating options. If you have any further questions, please get in touch with the maker.
Q: Are sofas and couches the same piece of furniture?
No, officially. The term “couch,” derived from the French word for “to lie down,” is generally reserved for large, armless seating arrangements. In contrast, sofas typically feature arm rests. These days, it’s common practice to interchange the terms.
Q: How long is a typical loveseat?
The standard length for a loveseat is between 48 and 72 inches.
Q: How many people can fit on a loveseat?
A loveseat is a small sofa that can seat two people comfortably. Each loveseat is rated for a certain number of people based on its length and weight, so it’s important to keep that in mind.
Q: How do I choose a loveseat?
There are many things to think about when shopping for a loveseat. Think about the factors and features discussed in this guide, such as the type and style of loveseat you prefer, the location where you’d like to place the loveseat, the expected durability of the materials, and whether the look and color of the materials suit your existing lifestyle and decor. Think about your financial situation and other needs and wants.
The Berties loveseat is an impressive piece of furniture. In addition to its notorious past, it has also encountered many women. Due to its recent unveiling to the public, the mystery continues to fascinate and provoke debate even now.
When compared to other sex chairs of its era, the Berties loveseat undoubtedly stands head and shoulders above the competition. With the passing of its former owner, the Berties loveseat has become the subject of much speculation and chitchat amongst its admirers.