The recommended frequency for rotating a pillow top mattress is once per month. However, why is it necessary to perform such upkeep? Is it once a week or more frequently possible?
- How To Make A Comfortable Bed Without A Mattress? Comprehensive Guide Update 12/2023
- What Color Carpet Goes With Brown Sofa Update 12/2023
- How To Add A Cushion To A Wooden Chair? Step-By-Step Guide Update 12/2023
- How To Kill Bed Bugs In A Car? Step-By-Step Guide Update 12/2023
- What Is Modified Life Insurance? Advantages and Disadvantages Update 12/2023
This comprehensive manual on fixing a pillow top mattress may also interest you. Although mattress rotation would be ideal for wear and tear avoidance, it’s still helpful to be aware of typical issues and how to address them.
What is a Pillow Top Mattress?
Mattresses with an extra layer of padding or cushion on top are termed pillow tops or euro tops. Sometimes they give the impression that a second, thinner mattress has been strapped on top of a standard one. The pillow top is just a standard mattress with extra padding.
Separate toppers entered the marketplace later than the pillow top mattress and have the disadvantage of moving around, whereas with the pillow top mattress, the top layer is sewn on. The pillow top has the advantage of the topper being a permanent part of the mattress and, in the case of the euro top version, it is even inside the mattress cover, so is difficult to differentiate.
Whereas the top layer of a pillow top mattress is sewed on, separate toppers reached the market later and have the disadvantage of shifting. The pillow top mattress is preferable because the topper is built in, whereas the euro top mattress is difficult to tell apart because the topper is hidden inside the cover.
What Is the Difference Between a Pillow Top and a Euro Top Mattress?
You can locate both sorts of mattresses when you start shopping, and the main difference between them is purely cosmetic. A standard pillow top gives the impression that two separate mattresses—one larger and one smaller—have been stitched together.
The cover of a euro top mattress completely encases both the topper and the mattress. The euro top mattress is a unifying design that offers the benefit of reinforced perimeters and a more polished overall look. However, while it may be more long-lasting than other solutions, it provides no more support or comfort than its less sturdy counterparts. They’re both great options.
Pillow Top Pros and Cons
As with any product, there are advantages and downsides to having a pillow top on your mattress. Pillow toppers are available in a wide range of densities, from extremely soft to extremely hard, so you may find the perfect fit for your own preferences. Let’s take a look at some specifics that could impact your opinion.
- The introduction of the pillow top has significantly improved the quality of mattresses in terms of comfort. The additional layer, available in a variety of materials, was said to give the bed a cloud-like feel, which was described as light, fluffy, and incredibly pleasant, complementing the bed’s normal innerspring or pocketed coil basis.
- There is no need to break in a pillow top mattress, which is a major benefit. Pillow tops are renowned for being pleasant and supportive from the very first night you sleep on them, in contrast to memory foam tops, which may require some breaking in.
- Less Off-Gassing: One complaint about comparable luxury mattresses is that they can smell bad and off-gas toxic fumes for weeks or months. Pillow tops, on the other hand, are rarely reported to emit unpleasant odors or toxic vapors from their materials, according to customer reviews.
- Although a pillow top mattress will cost around 30 percent more than a traditional mattress, it nevertheless offers superior comfort and luxury at a much more reasonable price than most memory foam or hybrid mattresses.
- Another advantage of the pillow top is that it lessens motion transmission, especially if it has a foam core. This makes it easier for people who share a bed to get some shut-eye.
- Pillow tops are widely regarded as the most comfortable mattresses because of the pressure relief they provide. Because of the extra support they provide for the hips and shoulders, these mattresses are widely favored by those who sleep on their sides. To put it simply, they are unparalleled in their ability to alleviate pressure points.
- The addition of a top layer enables the support of an innerspring to be combined with the comfort of a softer top layer, providing the best of both worlds. A lot of people think this is the ideal level of support and comfort for a bed.
- Pillow toppers add roughly 20 percent more weight than a regular mattress, so keep that in mind if you’re concerned about portability. This might make them awkward to manipulate and turn.
- And certainly, rotation is necessary. As a standard aspect of keeping your bed in good condition, you should periodically flip your pillow tops from head to foot. Except for double-sided pillow tops, they should not be flipped. By rotating it either clockwise or counterclockwise, you may extend the life of the mattress and improve the quality of your sleep.
- One major drawback of the pillow top design is the risk of sagging. Over time, the top layer materials will compress due to normal wear and tear and the weight of the body. When the sag is severe enough, it might cause back pain.
- Not a good choice for people who are overweight, as they do not provide the same level of comfort and support. Common sense dictates that heavier people should go elsewhere for help.
- A pillow top mattress might not fit in your bed if the sheets are too small or if the bed itself is too little. Though modern sheets are sometimes made of elastic materials that may adapt to different mattress depths, a pillow top may be significantly deeper than your current mattress. In that situation, the sheets you have on hand may be too small. The same is true of your bed frame; the mattress might not fit if it is too little or too tall. The price of a new bed might skyrocket if you also need to buy a mattress cover, sheets, and a frame.
- Less long-lasting: customers’ reports suggest that pillow toppers wear out more quickly than traditional mattresses.
- Many people find that the pillow top mattress is too heated since it retains body heat. It seems that about 8 percent of people who sleep on pillow tops have this problem, while only about 4 percent of persons who sleep on traditional mattresses have this issue. Pillows with foam on top may be warmer than those without.
How Often Should You Rotate A Pillow Top Mattress For Maintenance
To extend the life of your pillow top mattress, turn it every month or every other month. How often you should rotate your pillow top depends on its age and how much you use it. You can rotate your pillow top mattress every season if you don’t use it very often, but if you sleep on it every night, you should turn it over at least once a month.
How to rotate a pillow top mattress?
If the bed is small enough (like a twin), you can rotate the pillow top yourself. Pillow top mattresses are heavy and awkward to rotate alone, but with a helping hand they become manageable, even on larger beds like queen and king. A full mattress rotation requires two people, one holding each end while the other turns the mattress 180 degrees.
Why should you rotate a pillow top mattress?
It is important to rotate mattresses regularly and understand why we should. The mattress will wear evenly throughout its entire surface if you flip it over on a regular basis. Also, the mattress is less likely to sag because only one side is being used during sleep.
What happens if you don’t rotate a pillow top mattress?
You should rotate your pillow top mattress at least once a month to prevent it from losing its supporting and comfy structure too quickly. Because your entire body weight is distributed across a smaller surface area, the bed will quickly deteriorate in the area you utilize. Don’t assume that the pillow top’s extra padding will keep you from sinking into the mattress.
Can you flip a pillow top mattress?
Because one side is designed to be the sleeping surface and the other as a supportive base, most pillow top mattresses can’t be flipped. You won’t get the same level of support if you flip the pillow top over and use it as the bottom, since that’s not where the comfort is designed to be. However, the bottom of the mattress is so firm that sleeping there won’t be very comfortable.
However, there are certain brands that make beds with pillow tops on both sides. It is common practice for manufacturers to point out that these mattresses can be rotated because both sides are equally comfortable. If you want to learn more about the need of regularly turning your mattress and why, check out our in-depth guide.
How Do I Keep My Pillow Top Mattress From Sagging?
Rotate the pillow top regularly
Maintaining the shape of your pillow top mattress is as simple as rotating it once a month. By doing so, you won’t be putting all the pressure on one spot of the mattress, which eventually leads to it sagging. If your pillow top is reversible, you can try it out by flipping it over.
Fluff the pillow top regularly
It’s important to keep the top layer of the pillow top mattress uniformly dispersed, as this is what provides the mattress’s extra padding. Some pillow top mattresses have removable covers; if so, you can remove the top layer, and then use tennis balls and a front-loading dryer set to no heat to restore the mattress to its original, plump state. If you don’t have access to a way to remove the pillow top or a front-loading dryer, you can hammer the surface evenly with a broom handle.
Always check the box springs
You should inspect the bed’s base to see if it can properly handle the weight of your pillow top mattress. The coils in a box spring might become loose with time, so it’s important to remember to replace it when necessary. Pillow top mattresses are most comfortable when placed atop a firm foundation.
Can I Fix A Sagging Pillow Top Mattress?
Check if you can flip the pillow top mattress
Verify the flippability of your pillow top mattress if it sags already. The sinking surface can be eliminated and the mattress can be worn in uniformly by flipping it over. If your pillow top is just flat on one side, however, you should not use this method.
Add support under the sagging pillow top mattress
In order to fix a sagging mattress, one of the best solutions is to increase the support it receives. This can also be done with a pillow-top mattress and a sheet of plywood or another thick, solid board. Put the board under the sagging part of the mattress, between the box spring and the mattress.
How to Extend the Life of a Pillow-Top Mattress
Dust mites, food scraps, skin flakes, and other material can be removed from a mattress by giving it a periodic vacuuming. The vacuum’s suction also fills in the hollows of the soft mattress topper. The chemicals in dry-cleaning solvents and spot removers can ruin both the pillow case and the filling, so it’s best to keep away from them. The best way to get rid of a stain on your mattress is to use a clean towel and a solution of mild dish detergent and cold water. It’s recommended to wash bed linens once a week to maintain a clean and pleasant smelling pillow top.
The Right Moves
The rotation of 180 degrees once a month can help your pillow top mattress last longer. If you sleep in the same position night after night, your body weight can eventually cause the mattress to sag and sink in the same places. To combat this, rotating your mattress can assist. Turning your mattress every three months is also recommended if it has a pillow top on both sides. One-sided mattresses have the plush top on only one side and a non-skid material on the bottom, while two-sided pillow tops appear the same on both sides. If you want to prevent lumps and uneven wear on your pillow-top mattress, you should not sit on the edge of the bed.
Call for Backup
Make sure your pillow-top mattress is safe by covering it with a pad or cover that zips shut. You may protect your pillow top mattress from spills and other mishaps by encasing it in a watertight cover. In order to offer an extra layer of soft comfort to a pillow-top mattress, a protective and fluffy mattress pad is stretched over the top and sides of the mattress. You can keep your pillow top clean and dry with the help of a washable mattress pad. If you want to keep your pillow-top mattress from sagging or cracking, invest in a high-quality bed frame with solid core supports and sturdy box springs.
Buy a Trampoline
Do not let children or pets jump on the bed, since this can cause the pillow top to flatten and the mattress’ inner construction to be damaged. Instead, invest in an outdoor trampoline. A new mattress should be purchased if either the supportive inner core or the plush pillow top are compromised.
We expect you to take away some useful information from this piece. To review, a pillow top mattress should be rotated once a month. This will ensure that the pillow top wears evenly.
If you want to make sure your bed doesn’t get destroyed by accident, you should also read up on the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance procedures.