A good mattress is essential to a good night’s sleep and a productive day. The accumulation of dust mites, dead skin, and debris in your mattress can harm your health and shorten its longevity if you don’t regularly clean it. However, one of the most pressing issues is how to clean a sleep number mattress.
It’s possible to clean a sleep number bed by removing all bedding, unzipping the mattress cover, and spot-cleaning the mattress with a mild detergent solution and hot water. The mattress cover can be cleaned with a soft-bristled brush and then allowed to air dry.
Note that there are precautions you need to take to avoid shrinking the mattress or its cover. Learn how to thoroughly clean a sleep number mattress by following the steps outlined in the following paragraphs.
What Is a Sleep Number Mattress?
Founded in 1987, Sleep Number is a major manufacturer of airbed mattresses. Customized comfort is provided through adjustable beds with air chambers. In order to help you obtain a good night’s rest, all of their beds are equipped with tracking sensors.
Is this mattress a good buy for you? Various types of sleepers can be accommodated by the various mattress designs offered by sleep number. Among the best cooling mattresses for back and side sleepers is the 360 i8.
Sleep Number mattresses pros and cons
Sleep Number mattresses, like any other, have a comfort layer on top and a support layer at the bottom.
The bottom of a Sleep Number mattress has an adjustable air chamber rather than layers of supporting foam or an innerspring system. You may adjust the hardness to your liking by inflating or deflating the mattress.
Unfortunately, Sleep Number does not reveal the material used in the comfort layer. A cushiony but not necessarily plush product is how most reviewers describe this one. Extra-thick comfort layers are available on a few models of Sleep Number mattresses.
- Adjustability. In order to retain the hardness you like, the mattress will inflate or deflate as you sleep. With a queen-size and larger bed, you can regulate each side independently.
- Ingenious characteristics. Sensors for sleep monitoring are built into every Sleep Number mattress. There is a claim from the firm that this SleepIQ technology monitors your heart rate, breathing, and movement patterns. It is used to generate sleep reports so that you can monitor and improve your sleep quality. It’s crucial to keep in mind, however, that these assertions are typically difficult to prove.
- Lightweight. When compared to a regular mattress and box spring, the components of a Sleep Number mattress are more lighter and easier to transport.
- Durable. For a Sleep Number mattress, the support is provided by an air chamber, rather than by materials that degrade over time.
- There are problems with the design. In the middle of a mattress with two independent air chambers is a foam insert. Couples who prefer to sleep next to one another may find this difficult. There are some complaints from customers about air leaks and pump failures.
- Noise. Low buzzing noises accompany adjustments, which may disturb light sleepers.
- Extras that may not be necessary. There are smart features built into every Sleep Number beds. The good news is that if you don’t want to use these functions, you can disable them.
- Price. Adding options like bases raises the price greatly from the base price of $899 for a queen. It’s also worth noting that some models demand a delivery and setup fee of $199.
Sleep Number mattress pricing
There are Sleep Number mattresses that fit into the category of premium mattresses. Depending on the model, queen mattresses cost anywhere from $899 to $4,299 on the website. Regular or adjustable bases, for example, are not included in these rates.
There is little difference between Sleep Number mattresses and other high-end mattresses. You’ll have to pay $5,198 for a queen-sized Sleep Number 360 pSE Smart Bed with an adjustable base and under-bed illumination. A Tempur-Pedic mattress with the same options and enhancements costs around the same as this one.
The prices in this review are based on queen-size mattresses without additional features or enhancements.
- $ = $1,000 to $2,000
- $2000 to $3000
- Over $3,000 in monetary terms
Sleep Number mattresses
The four Sleep Number mattress lines offer a variety of choices. Extra inches in the comfort layer and a higher mattress height are found in the more expensive options in each line. We only considered the least priced options in each category when compiling this report.
With the help of a remote control, you may adjust the firmness of your mattress by pumping or depressing the air. In increments of five, the firmness can be changed from 0 to 100.
Upgrades include a foundation that raises the head and foot positions on either side, a foot-warming feature, and under-bed illumination.
Sleep Number 360 c2 Smart Bed (Classic Series)
- Cost: $
- Type of bed: adjustable air mattress
- 8-inch height
The Classic Series of Sleep Number mattresses are marketed as the most comfortable, adaptable, and budget-friendly option available.
To make up for its lack of padding, the c2 Smart Bed features a 2-inch gel-infused comfort layer. This mattress, like all Sleep Number mattresses, automatically adjusts firmness in response to your body motions.
Despite the c2 Smart Bed’s thin comfort layer, over 11,000 customers have given it a 4.6-star rating. Customer feedback is unanimously positive, with more than 9,100 of these reviews giving it five stars. According to some users, the ability to fine-tune the settings to their personal preferences is a huge plus.
Many customers have complained about general discomfort and physical ailments. The company’s customer service department replies to these reviews, encouraging dissatisfied customers to contact them directly.
Sleep Number 360 p5 Smart Bed (Performance Series)
- The cost: $$
- Type of bed: adjustable air mattress
- 10 inches in height.
The p5 Smart Bed features a 4-inch comfort layer that molds to your body to alleviate pressure points. Like other Sleep Number mattresses, this one is fully adjustable.
Almost 12,000 customers have given this mattress a rating of 4.7 out of 5. More than 11,000 of these reviews are rated 5 stars. Comfort and adaptability are high on the list of features that customers love about this mattress.
Unhappy customers have complained that the mattress is both noisy and uncomfortably thick.
Sleep Number 360 i8 Smart Bed (Innovation Series)
- There is a cost of $$$
- Type of bed: adjustable air mattress
- 12 inches in height
Sleep Number claims that its Innovation Series provides both contouring and temperature control. Engineered to keep you cool all night, it boasts a 6-inch layer of comfort, as well as fabric that’s designed to wick away heat.
However, the luxury comes at a cost. If you’re looking for the most expensive Sleep Number mattress, this is the best option.
Over 35,000 people have left i8 Smart Beds reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5. More than 29,000 people have rated it as 5 stars on Amazon. The extra features, which cost over $2,000, have been well received by critics.
Sleep Number 360 m7 Smart Bed (Memory Foam)
- There is a cost of $$$
- Adjustable air-filled memory foam
- 11-inch height
Smart adjustability and 5-inch memory foam combine to create the m7 Smart Bed. Albeit you prefer the “hug” of regular memory foam and want to be able to adjust the firmness, this could be a good, if more expensive, option.
An overwhelming majority of the nearly 3,500 reviews for this mattress give it a 5-star rating. Despite this, several reviewers have complained about a lack of support and trouble falling asleep.
Where to buy a Sleep Number mattress
In the United States, Sleep Number mattresses can be purchased at any of the company’s retail locations. The company’s website also offers the option to purchase them.
Third-party mattress and furnishings stores do not sell these mattresses.
How to choose a Sleep Number mattress
The main distinctions between Sleep Number models are their height, comfort layer thickness, and cooling capabilities. When shopping for a new mattress, keep in mind your personal preference for firmness and whether or not you want to invest in a more luxurious feel.
An online sleep questionnaire might help you limit down your choices. The following topics are covered:
- whom does the mattress serve?
- a mattress of your choice in any size
- pricing range that you consider ideal
- how well you sleep currently
- the level of firmness you desire
- if you have a tendency to overheat your bed
- how many times you twirl and sway
- common sleep difficulties like cold feet, difficulty falling asleep, and snoring can all be alleviated by using an anti-snoring pillow..
- if you’re a nighttime reader or tv watcher
As a result of your responses, the company has provided you with a number of mattress recommendations that may be suitable for you.
Visiting a Sleep Number store and speaking with a salesperson can also help you determine which mattress is best for you. Additionally, you’ll be able to play around with the various features in person.
Sleep Number’s website offers a 100-night trial so you can check out a mattress before you buy it.
Sleep Number mattress delivery
Most Sleep Number mattresses don’t come with free delivery and setup, and there may be additional charges if you live outside the company’s typical delivery area.
Costs for this service range from $199 to $199 for some models, and it is mandatory for others. To ensure that your new mattress (and base, if you’re upgrading) arrives on time, this service allows you to select a delivery date. They’ll even haul away your old one.
Before having your new mattress delivered, take a look at the Sleep Number delivery checklist.
Shipping and delivery fees are not refundable if you decide to return your mattress.
Sleep Number reputation
In general, people have nothing but praise for Sleep Number. With an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, the company has a solid reputation.
Mattresses are created in South Carolina and Utah at the company’s manufacturing facilities, which date back to 1987.
Sleep Number has not been named as a defendant in any consumer safety litigation filed in the last few years. Due to worries about overheating, however, the business recalled the foot-warming device on some versions in 2017.
A note on Sleep Number health claims
SleepIQ technology is embedded into every Sleep Number smart bed. Biometrics, such as heart rate and breathing, can, according to the business, provide information into how well you sleep.
Sleep tracking technology is intriguing for tech-savvy sleepers, but some companies make claims that their equipment may improve your sleep or overall well-being. These statements can be difficult or impossible to verify.
Rather than relying on any built-in sleep tracking features, we always suggest deciding on a mattress based solely on its design. Before purchasing a new mattress, consult with your doctor if you’re experiencing difficulties sleeping.
Sleep Number customer reviews
They have a lot of control over published evaluations because Sleep Number mattresses can only be purchased through their stores and online. For all the glowing evaluations on their site, it’s important to remember this.
Sleep Number has an average rating of 1.6 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot, a third-party review site, based on over 35 reviews. They haven’t claimed their profile here, and reviewers haven’t specified which mattress they’ve purchased.
A large number of 1-star ratings on Trustpilot come from customers who have had bad sleep and terrible customer service experiences with Sleep Number mattresses.
Sleep Number trial and warranty
The 100-night trial offered by Sleep Number begins on the day your new mattress is delivered. In order to get used to your new mattress, the manufacturer suggests that you sleep on it for at least 30 nights.
A return or exchange can be arranged with the company if you are dissatisfied with your purchase after 30 nights but before the 100-night trial expires. All returns must be approved by Sleep Number, thus this is an essential step. It is not possible to return certain accessories, such as bases.
Returns are subject to shipping and handling charges. If you can’t find another way to ship the item back, you may have to pay for Sleep Number to pick it up. You cannot process returns in retail locations.
A 15-year limited guarantee on Sleep Number mattresses covers flaws in material and workmanship under normal use conditions. You don’t have to pay for repairs if you file a claim during the first year of warranty, but you may be charged for shipping costs.
After the first year, costs skyrocket. Until year 11, if you have a claim, you are responsible for paying 30 percent + 5 percent for each year since the date of purchase. If you file a claim between the 11th and 15th year, you will be responsible for paying 85 percent of the costs.
Sleep Number accessories come with a variety of warranties.
Can You Clean a Sleep Number Mattress?
A sleep number mattress can be cleaned, so the answer is yes. In order to avoid damaging your mattress cover or the mattress itself, you must follow the cleaning and maintenance recommendations that come with the mattress cover.
Cleaning Pee Out of a Sleep Number Bed
One of the most difficult substances to remove from a mattress is urination. As a result of the liquid’s odor penetrating the mattress, this has happened. Using absorbent paper or cloth to remove the liquid and prevent it from being completely absorbed by the fabric is a good idea, but it can’t always be done in time.
Fortunately, it is still possible to remove pee from a sleep number mattress. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
Assess the Extent of the Damage
To figure out what you’re up against, you’ll have to take stock of the circumstance. Is the pee stain new or has it been there for a long time? Check to determine if there is a strong odor and little or a lot of pee to remove. The best way to clean up is to know what you’re working with.
The thick foam in Sleep Number mattresses allows them to better absorb pee. To get rid of the odor and stains, you may have to repeat the cleaning process several times.
The cleaning process will go more smoothly if you have fresh urine on the mattress. A paper towel or washcloth is all you need to remove the sheets and blot off any remaining wet. Rubing the rag into the pee will only drive it deeper into the mattress. Open the windows to allow fresh air to circulate.
Determine the Cleaning Method to Use
The degree of the stain and the freshness of the urine must be taken into consideration when selecting a cleaning approach. Among these are enzyme cleaners, peroxide and dish soap, and vinegar and baking soda.
To remove stains, enzyme cleansers contain powerful chemicals. When it comes to cleaning out pee, seek for cleaners that contain protease enzymes. Stains or odours that won’t go away respond well to this method of cleaning.
This is what you’ll require:
- The use of an enzyme-based cleanser
- Use a dry rag or paper towels to clean up any spills.
- Use the upholstery attachment when vacuuming your carpets.
- Sodium bicarbonate of soda (optional)
- Spray the enzymatic cleanser on the spots and let it soak in for a few minutes. To make a paste out of a powder cleanser, combine it with water and whisk until smooth. Take a five-minute break from the paste’s application.
- Use paper towels or a dry rag to remove the stain.
- Baking soda can also be used to treat the region. Take a break and let this settle for a few hours.
- To get rid of the baking soda residue, suck it up using a vacuum cleaner.
Hydrogen Peroxide With Dish Soap and Baking Soda
For dried pee on the mattress, a hydrogen peroxide solution should be used. Oxidizers neutralize and remove microorganisms typically found in urine, which is why peroxide is used. Hydrogen peroxide can blemish some materials, so be aware of this before using it. Make sure to remove all bedding from the room.
This is what you’ll require:
- a bottle of water
- 8 to 10 ounces of hydrogen peroxide or 3%
- Baking soda, three tablespoons
- A dry rag and a damp rag are needed.
- In a spray bottle, combine hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, and baking soda. Swirl the mixture rather than shake it to ensure that all of the ingredients are included.
- Using a spray bottle, apply the solution to the stained areas and let it dry. Make sure this combination has time to cool down.
- Rinse the area with a damp cloth and wipe with a dry cloth to thoroughly remove the solution.
Vinegar and Baking Soda
Natural cleansers like baking soda and vinegar can help mask the smell of urine. The uric acid in the urine is broken down by vinegar, making it easier to flush out. A new pee stain on your sleep number mattress can be cleaned using this procedure.
This is what you’ll require:
- An unused spray bottle
- Use a dry rag or paper towels to clean up any spills.
- Use the upholstery attachment when vacuuming your carpets.
- Soda phosphate
- Spray the spots with vinegar after filling the spray bottle. Ten minutes is a good amount of time to let this combination sit.
- To remove any remaining vinegar, dab the stain with a paper towel or rag and press firmly.
- When applying baking soda, be sure to spread it out evenly to cover the stain. Let it sit for a few hours before using. The vinegar will cause the baking soda to clump together.
- Remove the baking soda from the mattress by vacuuming it up.
Repeating the Process
If you want to make sure the pee is completely eliminated, you can repeat these steps. You can also attempt a different method if the first one doesn’t work.
You should also keep in mind that the smell of pet feces can be much stronger than that of human feces. Because of the ammonia-producing decomposition process, this is the case. You may have to repeat the method several times to remove the smell of pet pee from your home. Use an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of pee smells left behind by your furry friend.
How to Clean a Sleep Number Mattress Topper/Protector/Cover
In order to properly care for a classic sleep number bed, follow these steps:
- Remove the mattress’s beddings.
- Remove the mattress cover’s top zipper.
- If you need to spot clean the mattress cover, mix warm water with a mild detergent solution and use that. You can use a soft-bristled brush to clean the cover if the stain is far gone. The mattress will shrink if the cloth is saturated.
- To dry the mattress cover, lay it out on a level surface.
- When the top of the mattress cover has dried, zip it onto the bed.
Clean the surface of a sleep number 360 mattress by following these steps:
- On sleep number 360 beds, don’t remove the cover.
- Spot clean the surface with a mixture of water and mild detergent. When using detergent, make sure to use only enough solution to dampen the surface. Don’t drown the mattress in water.
- Apply the solution to the surface using a white cloth and gently rub it in.
- Let the surface dry completely in the open air.
Cleaning a Sleep Number Mattress Pad and Layers
Spot cleaning with a warm water and mild soap solution is required when working with a dual temperature individual layer. Vacuum the surface of the heating and cooling unit every three to six months. Keep in mind the care label’s directions for cleaning.
You must wash your mattress pad in cold water with a light detergent to ensure total protection. Dry at a low temperature using a gentle cycle. Avoid using any of the following methods to clean or iron this mattress pad: dry cleaning, bleaching, or ironing. Wash and dry on low heat on delicate with a light detergent for the right temperature mattress layer. Avoid using fabric softeners or ironing. Make use of large-capacity laundry appliances. Maintain a uniform fill distribution by refluffing or shaking the container.
Spot cleaning is all that is required for the comfort fit mattress layer, while the warming layer must be machine washed on cold, gently, and tumble dried low. Don’t dry clean, use bleach, or use a steamer. Use a moderate cycle in cold water and line dry the mattress cover when washing the memory foam mattress layer. Spot cleaning foam can be accomplished using a warm, soapy solution and a light detergent.
Cleaning Stains From Sleep Number Mattresses
Cleaning stains as soon as they appear is the best approach to deal with them. Once dry, certain stains can’t be removed. The mattress cover should not be dry cleaned or machine washed, since this can cause the cover to shrink. The cloth may become yellow if you use a stain-guard product.
Cleaning Dirt and Debris on a Sleep Number Mattress
It’s possible to use a vacuum with a non-bristled attachment to remove any loose dirt or debris from the mattress. Vacuuming the mattress should not be done directly on the surface or cover of the mattress, since this might cause harm.
Cleaning Dust Mites From a Sleep Number Mattress
Dust mites are microscopic animals that subsist on the remains of previously living organisms. The higher the humidity, the more likely you are to find dust mites on your bedding, sheets, pillows, and mattress.
You can get rid of these pests by poisoning them, freezing them, or boiling them.. At 130 degrees Fahrenheit, you should wash your beddings to get rid of them completely. Vacuum the mattress using a brush attachment as well.
Removing Odors in a Sleep Number Mattress
Dryer sheets can be used to mask scents in mattresses that do not have 360-degree ventilation systems. In order to remove the stench from 360 beds, you’ll need to fold the sheets under the mattress pad.
To avoid shrinking the fabric of your sleep number mattress, do not use an air freshener spray. In addition, it may cause the material to discolor.
Long Term Protective Measures for Sleep Number Mattresses
The typical lifespan of a sleep number mattress is eight years, but you must take care of it during that time. Here are some recommendations on how to extend the life of your mattress:
- Make sure your bed is protected. Mattress stains such as dirt, urine, or feces can be difficult to remove. Mattress protectors are the best approach to avoid these stains. Dust mites, debris, stains and other allergens will be kept out of the mattress by using this product. A few mattress protectors include a breathable and soft knit top, so you don’t have to deal with the crunch sound of normal plastic mattress covers.
- Make a complete turn of the bed. Your body’s weight is permanently altered by the mattress over time. Rotating your mattress will help it last longer and prevent it from wearing unevenly, which can contribute to poor spinal alignment as you sleep. Every two months, it’s a good idea to rotate the mattress.
- Do not share a bed with your dogs. Instead of snuggling up on your mattress, let your pets sleep in their own crates. It doesn’t matter how often you bathe and brush your pet; they still shed.
- Cleaning should be done in accordance with the directions provided by the manufacturer. On their beds, manufacturers include instructions for routine cleaning and stain removal. Most people say that the best way to clean the surface is using a vacuum and a hose attachment. Mattresses can be damaged if they are cleaned with powerful detergents or chemicals.
What You Should Know About Sleep Number Mattresses
What are the benefits of sleeping on a sleep number mattress? Find out more about these mattresses by continuing to read this article.
Bed Design and Material
Sleep Number provides three distinct categories of beds, each with a different level of comfort. The type of foam and the depth of the mattress determine the level of comfort. A remote can be used to modify the layers of foam that cover the air chambers in the vehicle. The covers of the mattresses are made of a stretchy, breathable material that conforms to your every motion.
There are no settings for the air chambers; they’re specifically made to fit your nocturnal movements. Maintaining the least amount of pressure on the pressure points is possible when lying flat on your back with your spine supported. Snore control and split king options are available on some models, allowing you to customize your comfort levels on both sides.
Using an app on your smartphone, you can monitor your sleep using SleepIQ technology, which is found in all sleep number models. Movements, respiration and heartbeat are all tracked by the feature. In addition, you may use it to connect with other apps to get an overall picture of your health and fitness.
Sleep Number Smart Bed Series
There are seven different bed models in the Sleep Number three-bed series. To learn more about their customers’ wants and needs, they’ve created an exclusive collection of products in limited quantities. The following are examples of the many bed models:
The C2 and C4 are two of the company’s classics. In addition to a polyfoam comfort layer, the C2 mattress has two adjustable air chambers. You can change the mattress’s firmness or softness by releasing or adding air to the region.
Incorporated throughout the foam is a 2-inch layer of gel-infused polyfoam, making it easy to mold and shape. The C2 mattress has a dual-chamber construction that allows for a variety of preferences. Polypropylene and rayon are combined in the fabric’s construction to make it more breathable.
In addition to the C3 and C2, the C4 is one of the most pricey versions in the classic series. Polyfoam comfort layer is an inch thicker in the C4 compared to the C2 to provide extra firmness, ranging from medium to firm. In comparison to the C2 cover, the C4 cover is comprised of a polypropylene/polyester combination.
The P5 and P6 are the high-end versions. These pillows have a rich, comfy feel thanks to their perfect combination of firmness and softness. Extra cooling material is included in the P6 model.
Cooling comforts and thick foam are hallmarks of the most cutting-edge versions. One can choose from three models in this series: i7, 8 and 10.
When it comes to sleep number mattresses, the following are some often asked questions:
Can you clean a sleep number mattress?
A sleep number mattress can be cleaned, so the answer is yes. You must, however, be familiar with both the 360-degree and non-360-degree bed methods.
When is the best time to clean my sleep number mattress?
Cleaning your mattress is best done in the early morning. That gives you plenty of time to apply the mild detergent solution and allow the mattress to thoroughly dry out. ”
Can you steam clean urine out of a mattress?
A mattress soaked in urine can be successfully cleaned using steam. Baking soda can be used to eliminate odors from a mattress before you sleep on it. Vacuum with an upholstery attachment and then use a steam cleaner to remove the grime. Completely dry the surface before moving on. In addition to removing urine and perspiration stains from the mattress, steam can also be used to freshen bedding.
How often should I clean my sleep number mattress?
Mattresses should be cleaned every five to six months, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Spills on the bed should not be left till then to be cleaned up. Before the stain has a chance to become embedded in the mattress, be careful to clean it. Remember that even if you clean your mattress regularly, you need to know when it’s time to get a new one.
What makes a Sleep Number mattress different?
Air-adjustable mattresses are used in Sleep Number mattresses. You can inflate or deflate them at any time using air chambers built into the mattress. If you share a bed with a spouse, both of you can tailor the firmness level of your respective sides.
Is a Sleep Number mattress worth the price?
A Sleep Number mattress is more expensive than a standard mattress since it is adjustable. For a queen-size mattress, you’ll cost between $899 and $4299.
Despite this, many reviews appear to think they’re worth the money. Many satisfied customers say that they enjoy being able to fine-tune the mattress’s firmness to their own preferences.
Can a Sleep Number mattress help with back pain?
Sleep Number mattresses are frequently praised for reducing back discomfort. It has been shown that the optimum mattress for sleep quality and spinal alignment is one with a medium firmness and a self-adjustability.
How long do Sleep Number mattresses last?
Mattresses, on average, should last 15 years, based on the recommendations of Sleep Number. Your results may differ. Some reviews say they’ve had their Sleep Number mattress for ten years, while others say they’ve had it for twenty years.. Several other reviews have complained about the mattress’s short lifespan and sagging difficulties.
There are a few basic steps involved in cleaning your sleep number mattress. Spot cleaning the mattress is as simple as removing the top panel of the cover and applying a mild solution. When cleaning the mattress cover and pads, be sure to follow the other cleaning requirements.