No, I’m not interested in that kind of thing. Take out your cutting blade and go shopping for a while. It really is that simple!
Especially for side sleepers, a top pillow mattress is one of the best options for a comfortable night’s sleep.
Sleeping on it is more comfortable because of its cushioned surface. As an inner basis, some people choose to employ springs.
A top pillow mattress, on the other hand, has its restrictions. The good news is that it is fixable!
We’ll discover how to fix a pillow top mattress in a few simple steps in this article.
What is a Pillow Top Mattress?
Overstuffed mattress tops, often known as “euro toppers,” provide an additional level of comfort and support for the sleeper. Looks like an extra mattress is added to the top of your regular mattress. Pillow top mattresses are simply normal mattresses with a topper added on top.
When compared to a pillow top mattress, separate toppers were introduced onto the market later and had the drawback of shifting around. In comparison to other mattress toppers, the pillow top is more difficult to tell apart because it is permanently attached to the mattress and, in the case of the euro top, even incorporated into the mattress cover.
The pillow top has a 2-inch top layer, but it can be thicker, and it’s covered in the same fabric as the rest of the mattress, according to the specifics. Although it may appear that the pillow top and mattress are independent components, this is not the case; they are permanently linked to form a single functional unit. Latex, wool, fiberfill gel, and other materials can be used in the topmost layer of a mattress.
Innerspring mattresses and airbeds are the most prevalent options for pillow tops. There is nothing better than a well-made innerspring with a soft foam or cotton topper, which has driven this mattress into the best-selling category.
What Is the Difference Between a Pillow Top and a Euro Top Mattress?
There isn’t much of a difference between these two sorts of mattresses, but if you start looking, you’ll find them both. In the case of a typical pillow top, it will appear as if two separate mattresses have been joined together.
To make use of the full surface area of the mattress, the topper is placed directly on top of it, with the mattress cover enclosing it from the sides. The sharper edges and more fitted appearance of the euro top give it the appearance of one mattress. Depending on the situation, it may be more durable, but there is no actual difference in terms of support or comfort. They’re both great options.
Pillow Top Pros and Cons
The additional layer of a mattress’s pillow top has both advantages and cons for the person using it. Pillow toppers are available in a variety of densities, ranging from soft to firm, depending on your need for extra softness and comfort. Let’s take a closer look at some of the details that could affect your decision.
- Convenience: The introduction of the pillow top has raised the bar for mattress comfort. Mattresses were often described as having a cloud-like sensation due to the combination of an innerspring or pocketed coil foundation and an extra layer of various materials.
- A pillow top mattress has a particular benefit in that it is comfy right out of the box. Pillow tops, with the exception of memory foam, are well-known for being comfy and supportive right out of the box.
- Mattresses that don’t smell or emit poisonous odors for weeks or months are a common criticism regarding premium mattresses compared to ours. It doesn’t appear that this is the case with the ordinary pillow top, as customers frequently rate them as not having any foul smell or fumes.
- Even while a pillow top mattress can cost up to 30% more than a conventional one, it offers equivalent luxury without the high price tag of most memory foam or hybrid models with a similar level of comfort.
- A reduction in motion transmission is another advantage of using a pillow top, especially if the topper is made of foam. For those who sleep with more than one person, this provides a more peaceful night’s rest.
- Insomnia-inducing Comfort: Pillow tops are well-known for their pressure-relieving properties. These mattresses are ideal for side sleepers since they offer excellent hip and shoulder support, as well as a reduction in back and joint problems. Overall, they’re outstanding in relieving pressure on acupressure points.
- Add a top layer to your mattress and you’ll have both the support of an innerspring and the comfort of the softness of a top layer. It’s a combination of support and comfort that many individuals find ideal.
- Pillow top mattresses are 20% heavier than conventional mattresses, so if weight is important to you, you should know that pillow tops are heavier than standard mattresses. They may be more difficult to move or rotate.
- In addition to this, rotation is a necessity. For proper bed care, it is necessary to rotate the pillow tops from head to foot on a regular basis. Except for two-sided pillow top mattresses, they do not need to be flipped. The bed will last longer and be more comfortable if you turn it either clockwise or counterclockwise.
- The pillow top style has the propensity to sag, which is a serious drawback. Body weight and natural deterioration cause the top layer materials to deform. It can lead to back pain if the sag is significant enough.
- Individuals who are overweight or obese will not receive the same level of support and comfort as those who are in a more moderate weight range. The general consensus is that people who are really heavy should look into other solutions in order to have the best possible support.
- It is possible that a pillow-top mattress will not fit in your bed frame or linens because they are too small. However, a pillow top may be deeper than your current mattress, despite the fact that sheets now come in stretchy fabrics that may suit a variety of mattress depths The sheets you now have may not be big enough for this. In the same way, your bed frame may not be able to accommodate your mattress, depending on the kind you have. The cost of purchasing a new mattress might be significantly increased if it requires the purchase of a new mattress pad and sheets as well as a new mattress frame, or both.
- There is some anecdotal evidence that customers have reported that pillow top mattresses seem to wear out more quickly than normal mattresses.
- Pillow Tops Keep You Warmer at Night: Many people like the pillow top because it keeps them warmer at night. In comparison, just 4% of participants who slept on a standard mattress reported experiencing this. Foam cushion tops may be more likely to trap heat than other materials.
Steps To Fix A Pillow Top Mattress
Having the knowledge that you don’t have to buy a new mattress when your old one is damaged is a relief. It’s so simple to fix that anyone can do it.
Your sinking pillow top mattress will no longer cause you to suffer from aches and pains in your body.
As you drift off to sleep on your “new” mattress, you’ll feel like you’ve taken a vacation.
As our discussion deepens, we’ll be able to accomplish this. Just keep going through the text.
Step #1. Identify the problem
Everything has an end date.
A pillow-top mattress should be repaired as soon as possible, rather than wait until it reaches that “end.”
Having stains on your pillow top mattress may seem like the most difficult thing to deal with, but I think you’re mistaken.
Even if your bed is stained, you can still get a good night’s sleep.
If your mattress has begun to droop or sink, you’ll be more likely to experience discomfort while you sleep.
When you sleep in a particular position because you enjoy it, your mattress may sink in the spots where you use it the most.
Visual evidence of this exists. You’ll know if your suspicions are correct if you run your fingers over the suspected drooping area and it feels empty.
However, to be on the safe side, make use of a horizontally flat object such as a ruler to mark a straight line.
Check to see if your mattress has sagged by placing a ruler horizontally on top of it. If this is the case, keep reading to learn your next steps.
Step #2. Remove the cover
Using a pair of scissors or a cutting blade, remove the cushion top. To prevent further damage, please make every effort to cut it straight and cleanly.
After removing the pillow top, you’ll see that the mattress is made up of numerous layers of foam. Depending on the manufacturer, the foams may be varied.
As far as I can tell, the sagging isn’t caused by the springs. Foams appear to be the most likely offenders in this case.
Step #3. Remove the sagging foams
This sort of mattress, as previously mentioned, is made up of multiple layers of foam.
Getting rid of “all” of the sagging suds is our primary objective in this stage.
Using a ruler to check for sags in the foam as you remove each layer is essential. If so, don’t hesitate to remove it.
It is possible to make use of these foams in the future. Covering only requires a minimal amount of effort.
Using your ruler, carefully remove each piece one at a time.
Even if it means removing all the foam layers, just keep going until it’s no longer saggy.
Step #4. Replace the removed foams
The next step is to measure the distance from the “new” surface to the cover, so that you can order the correct thickness of foam.
Be aware of the proportions of your mattress as well.
You should go to a store rather than buy one online in order to determine which foam is ideal for you.
But if you’re short on time, here are a few options to consider:
1. Polyurethane foams
Affluent people would prefer to acquire this one rather than the less expensive one. Mattresses often employ this type of foam.
However, if you’re interested in purchasing this foam, pay attention to the density because it indicates the level of quality.
You should also be aware of the fact that these foams have a shorter lifespan as a drawback. In comparison to other sorts, it is likewise not very long-lasting.
2. Convoluted foam
These foams have the appearance of an egg tray.
This appearance, on the other hand, tells us that it’s best suited for the very top.
If this is the case, it’s a huge help in maintaining proper spinal alignment.
In addition, it ensures that your weight is evenly distributed throughout the surface of the mattress, reducing pressure points and alleviating discomfort.
3. Memory foam
Using this type of foam can create a lasting impression of the emotions you’ve had while using it.
When shopping for this sort of foam, be sure to check the density, as there are several densities available.
It’s very similar to polyurethane foam, but it offers a lot of advantages over it.
Make an informed decision. Insert the foam of your choosing into the void left by the removal of the previous foam.
Step #5. Covering your “new” mattress
We’ve removed the pillow top from your mattress, as you may remember.
Finding a cover for the entire bed is the best option because sewing everything back together is a lot of work.
The zipped version is excellent for reuse. Before you close the bag, make sure the foam is inside.
You can either cut the extra foam or tuck it all around to give the edges a more rounded appearance.
Alternatively, if you want to keep the familiar feel of your mattress, you might use a pillow top mattress pad.
In the end, it’s up to you.
You did a fantastic job! You no longer have to worry about the sagging feeling disturbing your sleep.
Are Pillow top Mattresses Good for Side Sleepers?
Side sleepers will appreciate the benefits of Winstons Beds’ most comfortable pillow top mattress, but they are not the only ones. Mattresses should be chosen based on how you sleep. The quality of your sleep has a big impact on how much you benefit from these advantages.
With a pillow-top mattress, you get the best of both worlds: a supportive top layer that helps relieve pressure points while you sleep. Side sleepers, whose shoulders and hips are frequently strained, can benefit from this technique to alleviate their discomfort.
Is a Pillow top Mattress Good for Back Pain?
When your back is well-supported and comfortable while you sleep, your spine will remain in a more natural posture, reducing stress and pressure on the surrounding nerves. Our firmness chart on our product page might help you choose the right hardness for your needs if you’re seeking for a mattress to relieve back discomfort.
Full-body support is provided by pillow-top mattresses, making them a good choice for back pain patients. Pressure on your back will be reduced because of the additional padding.
Common Complaints about the Pillowtop Mattress
- Pillowtop mattresses aren’t as long-lasting as traditional ones. Although any mattress will eventually wear out, some users claim that pillowtop mattresses compress and lose their support in a shorter period of time than traditional mattresses. It’s only true if you’ve purchased a low-quality pillowtop. With approximately 8000gsm of high-quality fillings, Winstons Beds pillowtops will last for many years. This is backed by a 30-year guarantee from us.
- For heavier persons, pillowtops are out of the question. It’s only true if you’ve purchased a low-quality pillowtop. A more premium pillowtop mattress may be a better choice for larger people looking for pain relief, as many customers claim that cheaper traditional pillowtops do not provide the comfort and pressure alleviation heavier people want.
- It’s not clear to me why mattresses with pillow tops sag. According to several consumers, sagging and sinking in their pillowtop mattresses is a common problem with inexpensive pillowtop mattresses and may be prevented by selecting a more premium model.
How to Make a Pillow top Mattress More Firm?
It is possible that you require a firmer mattress for a variety of reasons. It’s possible that your mattress is softer than you thought. Mattresses, on the other hand, tend to become softer with time. If you suffer from back or hip problems, you may have been advised by a shop to check our orthopedic pillow top mattress reviews. If your spouse recently moved in, they may require a mattress with a higher firmness level.
Try placing your mattress on the floor
- Adding a layer of plywood between your mattress and bed frame may help firm it up.
- The atmospheric moisture in your mattress might soften your mattress. It’s more likely to happen in humid locations or near the seaside. Take your bed outside or into a hot area, and leave it there for the entire day to dry. Firming your mattress and killing bacteria, germs, and mould should be the results of this process.
- Temperature-sensitive fillers, such as memory foam, are used in mattresses. Reduce the temperature in the room by turning down the thermostat.
Rotate your mattress
- It’s a good idea to turn your mattress so that the areas of your body that are heavier rest in different places. To avoid sagging or indentation of the pillow top mattress, we usually suggest rotating it once a month.
How Long Does a Pillow top Mattress Last?
When it comes to long-term use, a pillow top mattress is hard to beat. It is typical for a pillow top mattress to last between seven and ten years. With proper maintenance and regular cleaning, we can extend the lifespan of our pillow mattress variety even further. However, due to the inability to flip these luxurious mattresses, proper care and attention must be given.
To get an idea of how long it will last, you might look at the materials utilized, such as wool and cotton, horsehair and alpaca. However, we are happy to provide you with a 30-year warranty on our pillow top mattresses. Nobody else in the country can say that!
How to fix a Lumpy Pillow top mattress
Smooth the cushion top by rolling a rolling pin around for ten minutes. To smooth out lumps, you may need to lay the mattress vertically against a wall while you roll the pillow top fibers back into place.
How to Clean a Pillow top Mattress With Baking Soda
Most people want to know how to wash a pillow top mattress cover.
To remove odours:
- Spritz the mattress with baking soda before you sleep.
- Take a 30- to 60-minute break from it.
- Remove the baking soda by vacuuming the mattress.
How to clean urine from mattress with a pillow top
- Fill a spray bottle halfway with white vinegar. For 15 minutes, spray the stain with vinegar and let it sit. After that, try to remove as much of the stain as possible with a towel or paper towels.
Why Should i buy a Pillow Top Mattress From Winstons Beds
No? Then this is the mattress for you. There is more to buying a pillow top mattress than just deciding on the type. The best and worst of each pillow top mattress have been shown to differ significantly in our studies. Choosing the wrong mattress could leave you with a mattress that is too soft and saggy to last the test of time, making it difficult to sleep at night.
You can expect the following if you purchase a pillow top mattress from Winstons Beds:
- When it comes to purchasing a mattress online, it may be more convenient and cost-effective, but you should always test it out first. To ensure your satisfaction, Winston’s Beds offers a 200-night trial period on all of their mattresses.
- If something goes wrong with your mattress, make sure you know your rights. Mattresses often come with a warranty of five to ten years. Winstons Beds, on the other hand, has a 30-year warranty.
- Mattresses are meant to be used only on one side. Since even the heaviest mattresses we’ve encountered can weigh over 100 pounds, not having to flip your mattress may be a relief. You’ll still need to spin it from head to toe….
- Synthetic fillers like foam are common in pillow top mattresses. If you want to steer clear of these, seek for mattresses that state clearly that they are created entirely from natural materials…
This post should have taught you how to fix a pillow top mattress, and I sincerely hope it did. You may have benefited from the information provided in this article.
You’ve made it this far, and I appreciate it. We appreciate all of your hard work and dedication!