To ensure a good night’s sleep, you need to know how to fluff your pillow top mattress.
- How Big Is A Queen Size Air Mattress Update 11/2023
- How To Fold A Mattress? Step-By-Step Guide Update 11/2023
- How To Blow Up An Air Mattress Without A Pump? Comprehensive Guide Update 11/2023
- How Long Should A Leather Sofa Last Update 11/2023
- How To Make Sofa Sleeper More Comfortable? Comprehensive Guide Update 11/2023
With a pillow top mattress, I can sleep on my side comfortably!
When I first bought this bed, it would take me ages to fall asleep, but now I’m sound asleep in minutes!
If the pillow top mattress isn’t properly cared for, it won’t be as comfy.
That’s why you should read on if you want your bed to last a long time while maintaining its quality!
What is a Pillow Top Mattress?
Overstuffed mattress tops, often known as “euro toppers,” provide an additional level of comfort and support for the sleeper. They can give the impression that a conventional mattress has an additional, thinner mattress on top of it. Mattresses with pillow tops are just standard mattresses with a mattress topper thrown in.
When compared to a pillow top mattress, separate toppers were introduced onto the market later and had the drawback of shifting around. In comparison to other mattress toppers, the pillow top is more difficult to tell apart because it is permanently attached to the mattress and, in the case of the euro top, even incorporated into the mattress cover.
The pillow top has a 2-inch top layer, although it can be thicker, and it is covered in the same fabric as the rest of the mattress, among other things. In spite of the pillow top’s appearance, it is securely bonded to the mattress to form a single functional system. Built-in topper may be produced from natural latex or other natural materials such as cotton or memory foam.
Innerspring mattresses and airbeds are the most popular places to find pillow toppers. Consumers’ preference for this style of mattress has risen as a result of the excellent combination of a durable innerspring and a plush foam or cotton layer.
What Is the Difference Between a Pillow Top and a Euro Top Mattress?
Although the distinction between these two types of mattresses is minimal and largely aesthetic, you will find both options when you start looking at mattresses. In the case of a typical pillow top, it will appear as if two separate mattresses have been joined together.
The topper section of the euro top mattress is placed directly on the lower portion of the mattress, and the cover encases both parts of the mattress. Because it seems like one mattress, the euro top offers a more fitted appearance and stronger edges. Depending on the situation, it may be more durable, but there is no actual difference in terms of support or comfort. Both of these are fantastic options.
Pillow Top Pros and Cons
Pillow tops on mattresses have both advantages and downsides for their owners. For the most part, the additional layer provides additional comfort and softness, however pillow tops can be purchased in a range of densities from soft to firm. To help you make up your mind, here are a few specifics to consider.
- The introduction of the pillow top has raised the bar for mattress comfort. Mattresses were often described as having a cloud-like sensation due to the combination of an innerspring or pocketed coil foundation and an extra layer of various materials.
- A pillow top mattress has a particular benefit in that it is comfy right out of the box. As long as you don’t have a memory foam top, pillow tops are recognized to be supportive and comfy from the first night you sleep on them.
- For a longer period of time, comparable luxury mattresses have been accused of emitting harmful off-gassing odors that can last for weeks or months. It doesn’t appear that this is the case with the ordinary pillow top, as customers frequently describe them as having no unpleasant scent or odor.
- A luxury mattress might be pricey, but a pillow top mattress provides luxury at a lower cost than most memory foam or hybrid mattresses with a comparable level of comfort at a lower price point than a normal mattress.
- A reduction in motion transmission is another advantage of using a pillow top, especially if the topper is made of foam. When more than one person is sharing a bed, this makes it easier to get a good night’s sleep.
- A pillow top’s ability to alleviate pressure points is well-known for promoting a good night’s sleep. These mattresses are ideal for side sleepers since they offer excellent hip and shoulder support, as well as a reduction in back and joint problems. As a whole, they’re excellent in relieving pressure points.
- It is possible to have both comfort and support in one mattress by using a top layer over an innerspring mattress. This combination of support and comfort is ideal for many people.
- Pillow toppers are around 20% heavier than conventional mattresses, which is helpful to know if you’re concerned about the bed’s overall weight. Makes it tough to move or rotate.
- In addition to this, rotation is a necessity. As part of routine bed care, it is necessary to rotate the pillow tops from head to foot. Unless the mattress has a two-sided pillow top, they don’t need to be flipped. The bed will last longer and provide more comfort whether you turn it clockwise or counterclockwise.
- The pillow top style has the propensity to sag, which is a big drawback. Compression of the top layer materials occurs over time as a result of wear and tear and human weight. Sagging of the spine can result in back pain.
- People who are overweight will not receive the same level of support and comfort as those who are of a normal weight. For the optimum assistance, overweight people are advised to look into different solutions.
- A pillow top mattress may not fit properly if your bed frame and sheets are too small. However, a pillow top may be deeper than your current mattress, despite the fact that sheets now come in stretchy fabrics that may suit a variety of mattress depths The sheets you now have may not be big enough for this. In the same way, your bed frame may not be able to accommodate your mattress, depending on the kind you have. If you have to buy a new mattress pad and sheets or a new frame or both, this might significantly increase the expense of purchasing a new mattress.
- Pillow tops have been reported by customers to be less durable than normal mattresses, according to anecdotal data.
- Pillow Tops Keep You Warmer at Night: Many people like the pillow top because it keeps them warmer at night. This was reported by 8 percent of those who slept on a pillow top mattress versus 4 percent of people who slept on a standard mattress. When a pillow’s top is made of foam, it is more likely to trap heat.
5 Steps To Fluff A Pillow Top Mattress
As a side sleeper, a fluffy pillow helps me get to sleep quickly.
Even if you’re suffering from neck and back pain, a pillow top can aid.
Losing the fluffiness of your mattress would be a major inconvenience.
Why does a pillow-top mattress need to be fluffed?
In order to remove lumps and restore the quality of your mattress, here is a step-by-step guide:
Step #1. Rotating the mattress
When a mattress is misused, it may lose its comfort.
Stress can cause you to need to fluff your mattress, therefore rotating your pillow top can help alleviate this problem.
Once again, if you flip your mattress over, the foot end will face the headboard, and the other way around.
Pillow tops with only one pad side can be flipped once a year, whereas double-sided pillow tops can be flipped every year.
The quality of the mattress will be preserved and wear will be avoided with the use of such a technique.
Step #2. Cleaning the mattress
Unfortunately, rotating your mattress alone is not enough to keep it in good condition. You will also need to clean it.
The bacteria and bad smell will be eliminated, and your mattress will remain fluffy as a result.
Baking soda is all you’ll need for this project.
Allow it to sit for an hour or so on the mattress’s top.
Your pillow top mattress will regain its fluff after using this solution, which kills bacteria and removes odors and oils.
Step #3. Vacuuming the mattress
Using a canister vacuum, remove the baking soda, dust mites, and other contaminants from your bed’s surface after the treatment period has expired.
There is no way to fluff the pillow top mattress, but you may rest easy knowing that your mattress is free of dust and allergens that cause you to itch every night.
Step #4. Hanging up the mattress top
The pillow top should be removed and hung in the sun if possible.
When it comes to drying our clothes, we all know that the sun is our best friend.
It’s fine to skip this step if you have a mattress that’s sewn to your bed or is otherwise impossible to remove.
Step #5. Beating the mattress
Using a clean broom head, beat the mattress once the pillow top is dry.
Be sure to completely cover the pillow top.
If you’re unable to remove the mattress, once again, make use of your entire body.
Lay down on your bed. About 20 to 30 minutes later, you’ll be able to roll it over.
As a bonus, you may use it to fluff up your mattress while you’re already there.
How to Extend the Life of a Pillow-Top Mattress
Dust mites, food crumbs, skin flakes, and other debris can be removed by vacuuming your mattress on a regular basis. Additionally, the vacuum’s suction causes the cushion top to fill out. Do not use dry-cleaning agents or spot removers on your pillow since the chemicals in these products can harm both the pillow top fabric and the filling underneath. You can use mild dish detergent and water to get rid of the stain on your mattress by lightly rubbing the area with a clean rag. To maintain your pillow top feeling fresh and clean, you should wash your linens once a week.
The Right Moves
Rotate your pillow-top mattress once a month to extend its lifespan. In order to avoid sagging and dips caused by the same body weight in the same position every night, rotate your mattress. It’s a good idea to flip your mattress every three months if you have a pillow top on both sides. On the other hand, a two-sided pillow top mattress has the same plush top on both sides, whereas a one sided mattress has the plush top on only one side. Keep your pillow-top mattress free of bumps and wear by not sitting on the edge.
Call for Backup
A zipped mattress cover or pad will keep your pillow-top mattress safe. Your mattress is protected from spills and stains with a waterproof cover that keeps the pillow top in place. A pillow-top mattress gets an extra layer of soft pleasure thanks to a pillow-top mattress pad that covers the top and sides of the mattress. Washable and moisture-resistant mattress pads can help keep your pillow top fresh and hygienic. To prevent your pillow-top mattress from bowing or cracking, choose a sturdy bed frame with strong center supports and supportive box springs.
Buy a Trampoline
Using a trampoline for your kids to jump on instead of a pillow-top mattress is a better option because kids and pets can harm your pillow-top mattress’s pillow top and interior construction. You’ll need a new mattress if the mattress’s inner core and pillow top are broken.
Can you flip a pillow top mattress?
There is no need to flip a pillow-top mattress, unless it has been specifically designed to be a two-sided mattress.
How long does a pillow top mattress last?
In general, the lifespan of a pillow top mattress is less than that of other types of mattresses. Over time, the pillow top tends to sag, shortening the pillow’s lifespan. Quality mattresses without pillows can last anywhere from 7 to 10 years or more, but because of the drooping of the pillow top, we estimate them to last just 5 or 7 years at most.
Are pillow top mattresses good?
The advantages of a pillow top mattress are numerous! The cushion top, for example, can provide better pressure alleviation while maintaining the necessary support. A pillow top mattress also has reduced off-gassing and motion transfer.
The quality of your pillow top mattress will last longer if you routinely fluff it.
One approach to save money is to know how to properly care for your possessions.
So, buying a new mattress isn’t necessary if you can take care of your current one.
You may have learnt a lot and had a good time, but that’s all that really matters. Please accept my heartfelt gratitude.