How can I lock the bassinet? You may be wondering the same thing, or you may have heard about bassinets and be curious to learn more.
- How to Fold UPPAbaby Cruz When Folded? Complete Guide Update 12/2023
- How To Clean Playpen Balls? Comprehensive Guide Update 12/2023
- How To Choose Bassinet For Graco Jogging Stroller? Helpful Guide Update 12/2023
- How To Close Cosco Juvenile Playpen? Complete Guide Update 12/2023
- How To Clean Graco Pack N Play Mattress? The Complete Guide Update 12/2023
Here are the Top 10 Tips on Securing a Baby’s Bassinet. When parents leave the room, the bassinet should be locked so that babies and toddlers can’t get out of bed. Everything you needed to know is right here!
What is a bassinet?
An infant’s first four months of life are the most formative, and a bassinet is the ideal bed for this period. The walls of a bassinet are comparable to those of a crib, providing some protection from the elements, but the overall structure is much smaller. These days, most bassinets have a stationary frame that rocks gently from side to side.
Most bassinets have frames that are freestanding and made of wood, wicker, plastic, or metal. Lighter and more portable, baby bassinets are convenient for parents who need to take their infant from one room to another.
What are the pros and cons of a bassinet?
It’s crucial to consider the benefits and drawbacks of a situation before settling on a course of action.
- Portability: Taking a newborn infant on multiple follow-up visits to the pediatrician, meeting extended family members for the first time, and other outings necessitates having a baby carrier that can be folded up and stowed away easily. If you’re a parent who’s often on the move and need a convenient and lightweight sleeping solution for your baby, a bassinet is a fantastic choice.
- Co-sleeping parents, as opposed to those who want to have their infant sleep in a separate nursery, can also benefit from having a bassinet. A bassinet can be easily moved from the living room to the bedroom, allowing you to get things done around the house without interrupting your baby’s routine. When your infant is close by, you won’t need a baby monitor.
- The risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) can be reduced by providing a safe sleeping environment for the newborn, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). One of the most prominent recommendations they make is sharing a bedroom. A bassinet is a great way to keep your newborn close but still offer yourself some space to get things done.
- Bassinets are less expensive than cribs since they require fewer parts and are easier to transport and assemble. That’s why it’s so important for new parents to stick to a strict budget.
- Accessory features: Most infant bassinets have a hood and detachable storage systems as optional accessories. The hood shields the infant from direct sunlight, while the attached drawers provide storage for baby’s clothing, diapers, and other necessities.
- Every bassinet has a weight restriction and a range of development that it can accommodate before it becomes unsafe for the infant to sleep in it. Because of this elevated danger, parents are often forced to scramble to find a replacement for their baby’s outgrown bassinet.
- A shorter lifespan: bassinets are designed for infants no older than six months. If you buy a bassinet today, it may be time to put it in storage within the next six months. After your baby reaches the maximum weight allowed by the bassinet, it is no longer safe for him or her to sleep in it and you will need to find an alternative sleeping arrangement. The Lotus bassinet may be transformed into a portable crib when your infant outgrows it.
- The short lifespan of bassinets makes them a less cost-effective choice for parents who are looking for a more permanent solution. Although these alternatives to cribs are more cost-effective individually, the sum of money spent on upgrades and replacements could exceed the cost of a low-priced crib.
Do You Need a Bassinet?
There are several reasons to use a bassinet, but the most common are its practicality and the peace of mind it provides.
When your baby is in a bassinet, you may easily reach over and tend to him or her in the middle of the night, which can help ease the stress of those feedings. (And at two in the morning, we’ll take any conveniences we can get.) At feeding time, whether you’re breastfeeding or using a bottle, you won’t have to go too far from your cozy bed to pick up baby. This can be a huge help for anyone, but especially for a new mother who is still healing from childbirth and has limited movement.
As a new parent, it may seem like the only thing that comes easily to you is concern, but a bassinet can help you rest easy during those first few months. Most bassinets can be adjusted to the same height as your bed, so you can easily check on your infant during the night to make sure they’re doing great. Having them close by also makes it easier to hear when they’re beginning to stir or become fussy, alerting you to the fact that it’s almost time for a snuggle or a feeding. The American Academy of Pediatrics does not promote bed-sharing, and these cribs are a terrific alternative for parents who wish to be close to their kid.
However, not all parents will welcome such close physical proximity. Putting your kid to sleep in the nursery crib could be the best option if you’re a light sleeper or if the constant noise is making you anxious.
When Do You Need a Bassinet?
Babies often stay in bassinets until they are at least three to five months old, when they begin to show signs of mobility such as sitting up, pushing with their hands, and rolling over. There are also varying weight limits for different models of bassinets.
Steps on Locking a Bassinet
First, make sure the locking mechanisms on the bottom of the bassinet have been disengaged. Be sure to turn the locking levers on your Dream on Me Crib and Changer Combo or Arm’s Reach Concepts Clear-Vue Co-Sleeper Bassinet all the way to the left.
Second, take out the mattress support from your Dream on Me Crib and Changer Combo or Arm’s Reach Concepts Clear-Vue Co-Sleeper Bassinet. Each corner of the bassinet has a button that must be depressed in order to pull it out. When the buttons are released, a clicking sound should be heard.
Third, with the mattress support out of the way, slide off the cloth cover of the bassinet and discard it. When you take apart a Clear-Vue Co-Sleeper Bassinet or a Dream On Me Crib and Changer Combo, you’ll see four screws in each corner. To take the screws out, you’ll need a Phillips-head screwdriver.
After removing the eight screws, the Dream on Me Crib and Changer Combo or Clear-Vue Co-Sleeper Bassinet may be lifted from the frame. The mattress bolster can be detached and then reattached with Velcro if needed.
Now that we’ve reached Step 5, it’s time to clean up! Clean the entire bassinet with a moist microfiber cloth. Take special care to clean any crevices that may have become soiled as a result of regular use. When necessary, wipe away any remaining dirt with a dry microfiber cloth.
The pad of the Dream on Me Bassinet and Changer Combo is waterproof, so it only needs to be spot cleaned occasionally.
Sixth, reassemble the bassinet once you’ve given it a good cleaning with a damp cloth. As a first step, if necessary, use both hands to firmly put the mattress support into place. Put the fitted sheet back on top of the pad and tuck each side under if your Dream on Me bassinet doesn’t need a mattress.
Seventh, place the canopy’s metal rod into the slot at the front of the canopy and secure the other end with a rubber stopper or plastic pin.
Step 8: Hook the mobile’s attachment point into the slot below where you’ve fastened your canopy. Put away the Dream on Me bassinet and take a load off your feet!
Indeed, you deserve it! What are the best methods for securing a Fisher-Price? bassinet with gentle rocking motion Fisher-Price Locking Instructions Gentle rocking bassinet When to use a fisher-price lock gentle rocking bassinet Putting a lock on a Fisher-Price Soothing Motion Bassinest
You can use a rubber stopper or plastic pin to keep the canopy in place after you’ve inserted the metal rod into the opening up front, which is step nine.
A mobile, if you have one, can be hung by putting its hook into the slit below the point at which your canopy is secured. Put away the Dream on Me bassinet and take a load off your feet!
How to disassemble Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet
Take the bed mattress out of its storage area. To disassemble the bassinet, first remove the cover by undoing its five snaps. Then, flip the entire thing over to access the foam pad beneath your baby’s sleeping surface.
Remove any screws from the bassinet’s back using a flathead screwdriver. Remove any removable fabric components from your infant’s bedding set and wash them separately if they get dirty or smelly.
How many snaps are there in a Graco Dream Suite bassinet?
To remove the cover from the bassinet, you will need to unsnap the ten snaps (five on each side).
What is the weight limit for Graco Pack N Play?
Weight restrictions of 30 pounds apply to several versions of the Graco Pack N Play. To learn more about the features available for your model, consult the user guide.
How do you disassemble Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet?
With a hex tool, take out the four screws from each leg. Fabric should be cut at the corners but left attached to the plastic connection clips so that it can be quickly put back together. To access the metal fasteners on the corners of the bassinet, unzip the bottom zipper around the entire cover. To loosen the mattress’s side ties, pull toward the mattress’s outside edges.
Carefully remove feet from inside corner folds where legs are attached to them by pushing out foot in opposite direction while supporting entire weight or body in another hand, being careful not to overload the stitching that holds together a one-quarter section of the sheet covering what used to be a part of the upper portion.
The 7 Best Bassinets
Best Overall: HALO BassiNest Swivel Sleeper Premiere Series
- Strong, stable, four-legged foundation
- Full rotation in all directions
- Beneficial for nursing mothers
- Move slowly because it’s difficult
For numerous reasons, the HALO BassiNest Swivel Sleeper Premiere Series is our top pick for a baby bassinet. This bassinet provides a safe place for your child to sleep, as well as a nightlight, a floor light, a sound machine with adjustable volume, and two vibration settings to help calm your infant. The bassinet bed can be rotated through a full circle, allowing you to reach in and tend to your baby without waking them.
Two convenient pockets provide space for small items, and a fitted sheet is also provided. The maximum weight that should be placed in it is 20 pounds, and it can be used from the moment of birth. The lack of wheels on this bassinet can make it difficult to silently get your baby out of bed in the middle of the night.
The product has a maximum weight capacity of 20 pounds and is 36 inches by 45 inches by 36 inches.
Best Budget: Dream On Me Karley Bassinet
- Portability and light weight
- An adjustable twin canopy that shields you from pesky insects
- Folding design makes it convenient for stowing away in limited quarters.
- The height cannot be changed.
- Bedding sold separately
- Caution is advised when using the canopy’s zipper.
This bassinet comes in multiple color options, is easy to transport, and features a double sleeping canopy with mesh panels that allow parents to keep an eye on their baby while providing some shade and protection. The bassinet’s luxurious sleeping mattress, sturdy metal frame, and weight capability of up to 25 pounds ensure that baby will be secure and comfortable.
The maximum weight for this item is 25 pounds, and its dimensions are 33 by 19.5 by 37 inches.
Best Splurge: Happiest Baby SNOO Smart Sleeper Baby Bassinet
- Easy-to-use app for smartphones and tablets that lets parents monitor and restrict usage.
- Technology that adapts to your baby’s needs can help calm him or her down in no time.
- Contemporary style with a nod to the past
- Bassinet’s speed can be adjusted via app only.
- The height cannot be changed.
- Occasionally, the app may experience connection issues.
When it comes to cutting-edge technology in a bassinet, the SNOO is unrivaled (and its midcentury contemporary aesthetic is a bonus). This bassinet can detect your newborn’s sounds, such as grunting or crying. Then, the bassinet will play calming white noise while gently rocking the infant.
The SNOO can have its motion, sound, and cry sensitivity adjusted by a parent from a distance using a mobile device app. The software monitors baby’s sleep patterns and notifies parents when they are needed. All of these high-tech additions do add up to a hefty price tag, but parents should take note that SNOO also has a renting option.
Weight: 38 oz. | Length: 30 in. | Width: 16 in. | Height: 32 in. | Max. Weight: 25 lb.
Best Compact: Fisher-Price Soothing View Bassinet
- Extra-narrow folds
- Structured lightness
- Adjustable rocking and locking mechanisms
- There’s no place to put stuff.
- To be rocked by hand
- There is silence and no music.
This bassinet from Fisher-Price is the best option for a small space. The Soothing View Bassinet may be folded down to a width of just 4 inches when not in use. It doesn’t take up much room even when it’s not folded up.
A gentle push on the bassinet, activated by the touch of a button, can help calm a fussy infant. In the event that you don’t want the bassinet to rock, you can easily switch it to a stationary position.
Weight of Item: 13 Pounds | Size of Package: 22.44 x 33.07 x 24.41 inches As a general rule, a person cannot weigh more than 20 pounds.
Best for Soothing: 4moms mamaRoo Sleep Bassinet
- The height can be altered as needed.
- Motion and sound can be controlled from afar with a smartphone app.
- Tool-free assembly is a feature.
- Occasionally, the app may experience connection issues.
The 4moms mamaRoo is intended to provide a secure sleeping environment for your baby up to the weight of 25 pounds while also calming him or her for improved sleep. The bassinet can be rocked and swayed at five different speeds, and there’s also a lullaby machine. In addition, it has a timer function that parents can use to establish a nighttime routine for their infant and adjust from anywhere using their smartphone.
The maximum allowable weight for this item is 25 pounds, and its dimensions are 24 inches by 34 inches by 39 inches.
Best Stroller-Compatible: UPPAbaby Stroller Bassinet
- Extendable sunshade with a UPF rating of 50+
- Cover for protection against insects is included.
- Airflow is ensured by both the perforations and the ventilation in the mattress’s foundation.
- Separate bassinet stand can be purchased.
- For use with UPPAbaby strollers only.
- Inexpensive alternatives to the bassinet stand
This lightweight bassinet is a fantastic alternative for parents who want something they can use both at home and on the road, as it is compatible with the widely used Uppababy Cruz stroller (and is available with the Uppababy Vista stroller). This bassinet can accommodate infants up to 25 pounds and has a sunshade and canopy with a UPF of 50+ that can be unzipped for increased ventilation. The Uppababy bassinet may be clicked onto the stroller for naps on the go or placed on a level, sturdy surface with the Uppababy Bassinet Stand (available separately).
Product Dimensions (inches) 30.25 x 16.6 x 24.75 Maximum Weight Capacity (in pounds) 25
Best Play Yard: Graco Pack ‘n Play On the Go Playard
- Easily collapsible and stowable for transport convenience
- Modest height, but with wheels for portability
- Visual stimulation toy bar that can be removed
- The height cannot be changed.
- Hard to put together for some people.
- Lacks a handle for easy transport
The Graco Pack ‘n Play is a well-liked portable playpen due to its convenience in assembly and disassembly. This design is suitable for use from birth up until the infant reaches 15 pounds thanks to the included bassinet insert. The toy bar can be taken out and used to provide your infant with additional visual stimulation.
Weight: 22.9 ounces | Size: 40 x 28.5 x 29 inches | Capacity: 15 lbs.
What to Look for in a Baby Bassinet
Many infant bassinets are smaller than a regular crib, but you should still take that into account. Whether you’re shopping ahead of time or in anticipation of the baby’s arrival, it’s important to think about where you’ll put the bassinet. Make sure the bassinet will fit into the designated area before making a purchase.
Some bassinets, like as the Graco Pack’n Play On the Go Playard, are folding, portable, and collapsible (view on Amazon). The Pack ‘n Play or another bassinet can be set up where it is needed for naps and overnight, and then stored out of the way when not in use. If you have any pillows or blankets that tend to roll off the bed during the night, you probably don’t want the bassinet right next to the bed.
Today’s bassinets have evolved from simple places for babies to sleep to multifunctional pieces of furniture. A canopies, play yard, stroller attachments, and music options are available as supplementary amenities. You should think about if you can go without these perks or if you’ll use them every time you go on a trip or try to get your baby to sleep in his own crib at home.
The UPPAbaby Stroller Bassinet (view on Amazon) is a good example; it features a sunshade, can be attached to a stroller or bassinet stand, and even has a mosquito protection. This bassinet has a mosquito shield and sunshade to keep baby comfortable and safe on hot days, making it an excellent choice for families that enjoy spending time outdoors. As an alternative, it can be used at home for restful slumber.
It might seem obvious that a bassinet is designed for a baby to sleep in, but many parents and caregivers don’t realize that thinking about the bassinet’s intended use will help them get the most use out of it. Although the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against bedsharing for infants, there are a variety of bassinets available to meet a variety of needs. 2
There are bassinets designed to keep you close to your baby by allowing you to zip down one side for diaper changes, feedings, or even playing. When baby is napping, make sure the sides are up. To assist soothe a baby to sleep, manufacturers have created bassinets that rock or vibrate.
You should prioritize the safety of your baby’s sleep, but you should also think about your lifestyle and whether or not the bassinet will be useful in other settings. Consider bassinets that are lightweight, compact, and portable if your family enjoys taking trips.
How long can my baby sleep in a bassinet?
Your child’s age, weight, and developmental progress will all play a role in determining how long they can stay in a bassinet. There are often age and weight limits on the use of bassinets, and parents should be mindful of these constraints. If your child has reached a specific weight or age and has outgrown the manufacturer’s guidelines, he or she is at risk of serious damage.
The best course of action is to read the instructions for your bassinet carefully. Some infants learn to roll over relatively soon after birth, prompting the recommendation on some bassinets that the product be put away until further notice.
Can my baby just skip the bassinet and go straight to a crib?
Simply said, absolutely. You shouldn’t feel obligated to utilize a bassinet. The extra functions are a requirement for some parents and caregivers, and they are easy to transport and take up little room. However, infants can begin sleeping in a crib soon after birth. Consider your way of life and the needs of your family as you make your decision. A bassinet is an excellent substitute for a crib if you lack the necessary space.
When should my baby go from the bassinet to a crib?
However, your baby may start rolling over or sitting up before they reach the recommended age or weight for use of the bassinet, so be sure to check the specifications before bringing it home. Keep a tight eye on them, because you may need to move them to the crib earlier than the maker of their bassinet recommends.
The greatest cribs now on the market were introduced, and instructions on how to secure the crib were provided. Check out the piece and give us your feedback!