Have you ever encountered a sofa that was just the right size? These two seats together are called a loveseat. A loveseat’s manageable size and shape make it an easy furniture project. For this reason, I will explain the steps needed in constructing a built-in loveseat, as well as the supplies and equipment that will be required.
The most practical solution for a large, comfortable piece of furniture in the living room is a built-in loveseat or sofa. However, what about trying it on your own?
It’s unusual, to be sure, but built-in loveseats are becoming increasingly fashionable as do-it-yourselfers come up with even more clever designs that are also surprisingly easy and fun to put together. But before we get into the specifics of building a loveseat, let’s define a few things.
What is a Loveseat?
Loveseats were originally created as a place to sit because women’s clothing consisted of so many layers, underskirts, and dresses that they would not stay put on a regular chair. Since their introduction in the 17th century, loveseats have played home to countless romantic evenings for couples all over the world.
Since a loveseat can usually only accommodate two people at once, it is ideal for a more private conversation between a single individual and their significant other. That’s why folks started referring to it as a “loveseat.”
Since the trend at the time was for women to wear skirts with lots of layers and hoops, it wasn’t meant to promote sensitivity between partners so much as it was intended to provide more comfortable seating options for women.
The loveseat’s practical layout is plain to discern. It was constructed of wood and did not have any padding or upholstery like the originals.
Top Benefits of Loveseats
Listed below are some of the many reasons why loveseats are worth it to own one:
A loveseat is a popular choice among those who are short on square footage but nevertheless want to sit in style. Loveseats are great because they provide comfort and fashion without taking up too much space in your home or apartment. The majority of these pieces of furniture are compact enough to be easily stored or moved.
Loveseats save you money.
With a small amount of space, you can make it seem more significant with the right loveseat – just avoid overspending on a big comfortable sofa that will occupy more space than necessary and end up costing you plenty in selling time or even elsewhere. If you’re in the market for a new sofa but don’t want to spend a fortune, a loveseat is your best bet. You won’t feel guilty hosting friends and family on your budget thanks to how sleek and comfortable they are.
Loveseats offer more sleeping space.
Many modern loveseats come with an optional design feature that converts them into a couch bed, providing extra sleeping room for visitors. This feature can be easily removed or changed to return the loveseat to its regular configuration.
Easy to design with other living room furniture.
An attractive loveseat can serve as a focal point or a balancing element in a living area. Sixty percent of the population says the sofa if asked what they would build their house around. Sets comprising a sofa, loveseat, and ottoman allow you to furnish a room beautifully without worrying about whether or not the pieces’ colors and materials work well together.
Valid for any room.
Loveseats can be found in a wide variety of shapes, colors, and materials, making them a great option for spicing up any area and accommodating a wide range of preferences in terms of style. The versatility of loveseats as additional seating for guests without taking up too much space is one of the major reasons they are a popular choice when redecorating.
Amidst all the possibilities out there, it’s important to keep an eye on the loveseat’s overall quality. Although going with the cheapest choice up front may seem like a good idea, it often ends up costing more in the long run due to the need for constant maintenance and repairs.
Try to find items with high-quality construction, such as frames made of solid wood, cushions with springs for extra comfort and longevity, thick padding on pillows, and sturdy upholstery. Ideally, you’d like to locate an option that satisfies your needs in terms of comfort and style for an extended period of time without disintegrating after only a few months of light use.
How to make a built in loveseat?
An old sofa can be repurposed into a cute little loveseat that goes perfectly in the room. Making a loveseat from second-hand pieces is as easy as following these instructions.
Using a staple remover or flat head screwdriver, take out the old staples from the upholstery. The time has come to get rid of the old stuff. If the remaining batting and foam has been incorrectly shaped, remove it so that it can be replaced.
Mark the desired length on the couch using a crayon or pencil after measuring it with a measuring tape.
Using a reciprocating saw, cut the sofa down to the length of the loveseat, and then take off the arm of the couch. The armrest and couch’s edges need to be sanded.
To prevent the wood from splitting during assembly, holes should be drilled with a small drill bit beforehand. Next, screw the arm into the rest of the sofa with the drill.
Depending on how big you want your finished loveseat to be, you’ll need a certain amount of batting, foam, and fabric. Buy the equipment you’ll need to recover the sofa. The last step is to get the fabric and foam cut to size.
Cover the loveseat’s arms, back, and seats with the foam. Stapling plastic wrap around it and then using a staple gun to secure it is one method. Use a sewing machine to cut the cloth to size, then drape it over the sofa and foam.
Just throw something over the couch’s back. Attach the cloth to the top of the loveseat and the sofa’s underside in a concealed border. Stamp the item on the back side of the material, working from the top down to the bottom and sides.
The fabric from both the armrest and the back should be stacked to hide the exposed edges. Fabric should be positioned down the underside of the bench seat before being flipped over and stapled to the sofa underneath.
The second method provides detailed steps for constructing your very own sofa. With this method, we can easily create a couch from pallets.
You should start by cutting a piece of wood to the exact dimensions of the finished sofa. Put these together by diagonally screwing the pieces together. Secure seating can be achieved by fastening two diagonals across the middle, across from each other.
Attach the pallets to the floor with screws. Screw it in at an angle for maximum stability. Finally, construct a backrest by vertically connecting two pallets at the back and drilling them together. Check that the screws are tightened properly so that this doesn’t happen again.
Pallets should be sanded after placement to remove sharp edges. Applying varnish will give your couch a glossy finish and an even smoother feel. If you’d want to give your couch a splash of color, you can do it with paint. It’s all up to you to make it look nice with your pillows.
Add matching throw pillows to your sofa. Use your imagination and throw in some soft furnishings like pillows, blankets, and stuffed animals. In order to make your new furniture more interesting and sophisticated, you can always add some extra touches.
Are loveseats effective or practical?
In other words, you don’t have to be in a relationship to enjoy the company of another on a loveseat. Manufacturers assert that sales of these soft, accommodating sofas are through the roof because of all the ways in which homeowners may put them to use. This adaptable size is perfect for both spacious new-home great rooms and cramped apartment or studio flat living rooms. Nevertheless, ints.
What to Look for When Buying the Best Loveseat
There are a number of elements to consider while choosing the ideal loveseat for your home. Think about the number of people who will be using the loveseat, the space available, and where you plan to put it before you buy one. Consider the following details when searching for the ideal loveseat for your home.
It’s possible to find numerous varieties of love seats, each with its own unique design and set of features.
- Loveseats that recline offer additional space by way of an extension at both the top and bottom. Manual recliners, which are operated by a lever or tab instead of a power mechanism, are less expensive and more flexible in terms of placement in a room with few electrical outlets.
- You can sleep on a futon loveseat or use it as a couch. The structure’s skeleton may be fabricated from timber, metal, or a hybrid of the two. Resting on the mattress, you won’t feel its supportive frame thanks to its thick layers.
- Comfortable outdoor loveseats are a great addition to any patio set. Wicker, teak, wood, and most metal love seats are more durable when exposed to the elements.
Loveseats can be found in lengths ranging from 40.5″ to 72″, making them flexible enough to fit in a wide variety of rooms. Most standard sizes have a depth of 28 to 36 inches and a height of 33 to 40 inches.
For the structure of a loveseat to last for many years, it must be made from sturdy materials. Longevity is the norm for frames constructed of solid wood and fastened with screws or nails. A double-doweled, corner-blocked, kiln-dried wood frame, for instance, can survive for up to ten years.
A metal frame will endure the longest and be the most sturdy. A sofa with a metal frame might develop painful pressure points if the cushions aren’t restuffed on a regular basis. Check that the edges of the frame are covered by the material by running your hand over the couch.
A thin, easily worn fabric is not a good choice because it will not last long and will not be comfortable to wear. Popular choices for loveseat upholstery include:
- Polyester is a common choice for sofas due to its durability and water resistance.
- Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, mimics the look of leather but is more water-resistant than real leather.
- In addition to cotton and wool, polyurethane is frequently used. It can survive cuts and punctures thanks to its higher torsion strength, which also makes it waterproof and stain-resistant.
- Leather may last for many years even with regular use. It’s the most luxurious and expensive type of upholstery available.
- Because it does not crack or peel as easily as real leather does and does not show scratches as easily, faux leather upholstery is also a long-lasting and sturdy choice.
A fabric’s double rub (DR) rating is an important consideration. That’s how many times you can sit on the same spot (“rub”) before the fabric starts to wear. A DR of 15,000 or higher will guarantee the durability of a loveseat in a busy household. (In contrast, office equipment usually necessitates a DR of 35,000 or higher.)
When it comes to the comfort of a loveseat, it’s not just the cover fabric that matters, but also the inner construction, including the springs and the cushion filling. You can test the integrity of the springs by pressing down through the upholstery once the cushions have been removed. Place them as closely together as possible while still maintaining a reasonable distance from one another so that they can provide firm support without too much give.
Many different types of cushion fillings are on the market.
- Cushions are often stuffed with polyurethane foam, the density of which determines how firm the cushion will be.
- High-resilience foam offers the best of both worlds: comfort and longevity.
- Plan on spending a lot of time plumping a cushion filled with goose down that has also been combined with feathers.
- Goose down and feathers are wrapped around high-density foam to make a cushion that is both soft and robust.
Look for a loveseat with arms measuring between 7 inches and 9 inches in height if you plan on using them as a pillow or a backrest.
Numerous design eras and aesthetic preferences are represented in the wide variety of accessible loveseats.
- Modern loveseats are updated versions of traditional styles.
- Originally popular between 1945 and 1969, midcentury loveseats are making a resurgence nowadays. The lines and shapes of this style are clean and contemporary.
- Loveseats with a tufted back are upholstered in a fabric that is tugged and folded to create a geometric design before being fastened with buttons.
- The back cushions on a Lawson love seat are not attached to the frame. This results in a settee that is more comfortable to sit on. They have a classic cut with your choice of rolled or squared off sleeves.
- The arms and back of an English rolled arm loveseat are rolled low and high, respectively, and the upholstery is snug but accommodating. The traditionally refined appearance is enhanced by the short turned legs.
- The Bridgewater loveseat is similar to the sofa in that it has a high back and rolled arms but with a lower profile and a more relaxed feel.
- All the way down to the arms, the back of a camelback loveseat is elevated. Modern variations of the camelback loveseat replace the exposed wood on the legs and the top of the back and armrests with plush padding.
Colors and Patterns
There is an infinite number of loveseats to choose from in any color or design you can imagine. Think about where you want to put it and if you might want to change that spot down the road. A loveseat placed in front of a sunny window, for instance, would benefit from a brighter fabric or design.
Those looking for a loveseat to complement solid-colored pieces in a larger space may want to consider a pattern. A solid, neutral hue may be the most practical choice for a studio or one-bedroom apartment or college dorm room. The frame’s color and finish are sometimes customizable as well.
Some love seats have useful extras, including cup holders or storage compartments. Cupholders, storage space, and even power and USB outlets hidden in secret compartments are all possible additions to center consoles. There are loveseats that feature an ottoman as well.
The Best Loveseats of 2022
Pottery Barn Turner Square Arm Leather Sofa
The loveseat is 64.5 inches in length, and there are options for even more space all the way up to 103.5 inches in length. Buyers can order the leather sofa with two or three seat cushions, with roll arms or sloped arms, and select their favorite top grain leather color from 35 options. True leather has variations in color and texture since each hide is different, and it needs to be placed away from direct sunlight to avoid discoloration.
Customers have a range of length options, from the loveseat (64.5 inches) all the way up to the sofa (103.5 inches). Customers can choose their favorite shade of top grain leather from 35 available hues when custom ordering a two- or three-seater leather sofa with roll arms or slanted arms. Since each hide is unique, genuine leather will naturally vary in color and grain. It should also be kept out of direct sunlight to preserve its natural color.
- Upholstery: Leather
- Size: 64.5″ x 38.5″ x 35″; custom sofa sizes also available
- Seating capacity is 2.
- Genuine, top-grain leather that breaks in beautifully
- Wrapped cushions with a down/feather combination for comfort
- Mortise and tenon joinery ensures the longevity of the wood structure.
- Variations in color and texture are natural features of genuine leather.
- Calls for rigorous cleaning procedures
- Keep out of direct sunshine; it fades with time.
Novogratz Leyla 60″ Tight Back Convertible Sofa
A curving arm and a frame made from kiln-dried eucalyptus wood give this loveseat a traditional look and feel. Up to 300 lbs. can be supported by the structure without any issues. With its averages in seat height, backrest height, and seat depth, this chair is great for most people and has the added convenience of some hidden storage space. High density foam cushions are used on the loveseat to give softness without making anyone feel like they’re sinking into the furniture.
- Upholstery: Microfiber
- It measures 56.3 by 31.5 by 33.86 inches.
- Seating capacity is 2.
- Easy set-up with few moving parts
- Cushioning made of high-density foam
- Separately available couch and chair options
- Storage space beneath the seat
- Seat cushions that are attached to the seats are a pain to clean.
- Scotchgard is not suitable for use on foam cushions.
Novogratz Leyla 60″ Tight Back Convertible Sofa
This loveseat has a metal frame that is covered in 100 percent linen. Both occupants’ weights combined must not exceed 400 pounds. There is a huge pocket on the outside of both arms, perfect for storing a book, magazines, or the television remote. The futon’s single bed is just the right size for a single sleeper.
The polyurethane foam used in the loveseat’s cushions makes them more supportive. The mildew-resistant fabric only needs to be wiped down with a moist cloth to be cleaned. Black, navy blue, teal, berry, burnt orange, mustard yellow, gray, light gray, and tan are among the nine hues offered.
- Linen is used for all upholstery.
- 60 inches wide, 30 inches deep, and 32 inches high.
- Seating capacity is 2.
- Changes to one of four possible configurations
- Fabric that won’t mildew
- Pockets on the upper and lower arms for storage
- Choices in a rainbow of hues
- Items stored in futon pockets may shift and fall
- Long-term visitors will find it unpleasant.
West Elm Finn Sofa
This loveseat takes its cues from current design, which can be seen in its sleek contours, sturdy wood structure, and sinuous spring support. In addition to being low in VOCs and having the GREENGUARD certification, it is also GREENGUARD certified. In terms of personalization, you can select between an upright, reclined, or entirely flat position.
- Velvet, tweed, and canvas are just some of the options for upholstery.
- 713632 inches is its dimensional breakdown.
- Space for two or three
- Fabrics and colors can be selected individually.
- There are three different heights available.
- As well as being low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), GREENGUARD certification
- Futon depth is 45 inches.
- Feet and head are lifted while on the futon position.
- Only clean in small areas
Andover Mills Edgar Reclining Sofa
This loveseat serves a dual purpose as an useful and aesthetically pleasing addition to any home. The vinyl faux-leather upholstery is plush without being cumbersome. The sophisticated appearance is enhanced by the rich brown color. The 61-inch loveseat is a good choice if you’re short on floor space because it doesn’t have a console that folds out.
- Whenever possible, we use faux leather for our sofas and chairs.
- The item is 38.5″ wide, 81″ long, and 38″ high.
- Space for two or three
- Power recliner at a reasonable price
- Outsized style
- Console in the middle, as an extra
- Cup holders constructed into the design.
- Required assembly
- Exactly one shade of fabric is available for the upholstery.
Best Choice Products Faux Leather Upholstered Modern
The loveseat is little in stature but big on flair, and it is offered in fourteen distinct hues. The back support’s channel tufting gives it a look that’s reminiscent of the mid-century modern era. The timber frame is robust and sturdy, and the metal legs are flared to produce a compact but elegant appearance. The foam cushions and springs provide adequate, though a touch hard, comfort.
This loveseat will look great as a decorative addition in any compact space as long as you keep it clean by spot-cleaning any discolorations with noncolor mild soap and warm water.
- Polyester velvet is used for the furniture’s upholstery.
- Overall dimensions are 47 by 30.5 by 31.5 inches.
- Seating capacity is 2.
- Simple enough for two individuals to put together
- Polyester upholstery that is soft and comfortable
- Holds up to 500 kg
- Only clean in small areas
- Not intended to provide cushy rest
Winston Porter Arrionna 50.4” Wide Outdoor Loveseat
Frame aesthetics include a circular back, slanted arms, and curved sides; two polyester foam cushions provide seating comfort. The 2″ thick, removable, and washable seat cushions are a pleasant addition to any chair. Some users may find the frame’s backrest uncomfortable and decide to buy supplemental pillows to soften the experience.
You can’t go wrong with brown or graphite for your outdoor furniture. Soap and water, and a soft towel, will do the trick for either color.
- Polyester resin wicker with polyester cushions.
- Measures 50.4″ x 27.6″ x 31.1/4″
- Seating capacity is 2.
- Separatable foam padding