You should learn how to paint a wooden bed frame if you want to change the look of your bed.
It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do for a tired old bed.
To get the best results, pair it with high-quality linens in the same color scheme.
You should start by assembling all the materials you’ll need for this undertaking.
The following are included in this:
- The use of a sanding block
- The Rug Is Wet
- Pail for paint
Types of Finish
Different looks can be achieved when painting wooden bed frames.
An eggshell hue characterizes this sort of finish. Not only is its shine dull, but its overall quality is poor as well.
A satin finish provides a subdued appearance with a moderate gloss.
This treatment will offer your furniture a high gloss compared to others.
5 Steps To Paint A Wooden Bed Frame
Have you have everything you need?
Let’s get started on painting your bed frame right now!
How to paint a wooden bed frame by following these instructions:
Step #1. Look for an open working area
You need to relocate the bedroom to a more practical location, such the basement or garage.
Step #2. Sanding
The need for sanding will vary according on the current state of your bed frame.
After you’re done sanding the entire bed, just use a moist rag to get rid of the dust.
Step #3. Applying paint primer
You can use a variety of techniques while painting the bed frame. Any little roller, paint sprayer, or paintbrush will do the trick.
You can use any approach you like best.
You should begin applying the primer, and once it has dried for about an hour, you should apply a second coat. Apply a second coat once the first has dried.
It’s important to give the initial coat adequate time to dry.
If you don’t, the first coating you apply may be drawn into the tacky areas.
Applying two coats of primer is crucial because it will stop the wood from soaking up paint.
If you decide to use a satin finish paint, this will also serve as a sturdy foundation.
Step #4. Applying the paint
Among the various types of finish, the satin sheen is more recommended for wooden frames.
When it comes to timber frames, the satin shine is the preferred sort of finish.
Take cautious not to get any paint on yourself while painting spindles or slats.
Leave the bed frame overnight after applying the second layer to allow it to dry completely.
Step #5. Assemble the wooden bed frame
The bed frame should be assembled once you’ve returned it to your bedroom.
And that’s the end of it! The bed can be made up with the mattress returned.
Then you’ll see the dramatic change that paint makes.
With this change, the space will feel more cozier than usual.
How to paint a metal bed frame
Oil-based paint and water-based acrylic paint are the two most common forms of paint for usage on metal. If you want to know if the paint may be used on metal, check the container. In other words, you shouldn’t use the paint if it isn’t specifically labeled as such.
Although oil-based paint provides a more aesthetically pleasing finish, it takes much longer to cure. An excellent paintbrush that doesn’t lose bristles while painting is also essential. Acrylic paints allow you to get more done in less time. Even easier, they come in a spray form.
Preparing a metal bed frame for painting
A great paint job can be achieved with careful preparation. To have your metal bed frame ready, do what I say:
- To clean the frame of a picture. You may prevent rust from forming on a brand new surface by applying mineral spirits to get rid of grease and a rust primer to prevent further rusting. If the frame is in decent shape, wipe it down to remove dust, lightly sand it to degloss the surface, and then spray it with mineral spirits to improve adherence. If the dirt just won’t come off, try washing it with a mild detergent. Sanding can kick up a lot of dust, so use a tack cloth to get rid of it all.
- Use a wire brush, sander, or scraper to get rid of flaking or peeling paint. This requires more effort on your part but ultimately yields greater results. Power tools are popular among do-it-yourselfers, but they leave metal shiny, making it more difficult for paint to adhere.
- To eliminate rust, please. Indeed, this is crucial. If you want the paint to last longer and look better, you should brush off the rust, sand the frame, and apply a rust-inhibiting primer.
- Repair any dings or holes. Use a cleaner along with mineral spirits to refinish bare metal. Insert epoxy-based composite injection needles into tiny holes. Fill larger holes with epoxy, working inward from the perimeter. Cut a piece of wire glass mesh about an inch bigger than the hole and press it into the filler.
- Prepare the metal surface for painting. To prevent rust, grime, and dust from settling on the freshly cleaned frame, prime it for painting immediately. When working with metals that don’t readily accept paint, such as aluminum, it’s important to use a galvanized primer. Primers made of iron oxide or zinc chromate are effective for both interior and exterior use on iron and steel.
Painting your metal bed frame
For the best results, paint your frame in a room with plenty of ventilation and no dust. Painting in the fresh air on a beautiful day is ideal. There will be less mess for you to tidy up later.
To prevent misplacing them, please keep your fasteners in a tight container. You can use either spray paint or a paintbrush to repaint your bed frame. Here is how to spray paint something quickly and efficiently:
- Take the frame apart and use bricks, boxes, or crates to support the various parts.
- If the metal is gleaming or brand new, you should prime it with a spray.
- If you used a spray primer, the drying time should be about 10 minutes.
- Paint is best mixed by vigorously shaking the can before use.
- Be sure to hold the spray can 8 to 10 inches away from the bed frame before you begin. To prevent leakage, maintain constant, horizontal or vertical motion.
- Do not try to dry the coat right away. Next, flip the frame or component over to spray paint the reverse side.
- When the first coat has dry, apply a second.
- For a more flawless end result, apply a third coat after the second has dried. See whether any paint has pooled in the corners or if you missed any spots.
- When putting together the bed, use a can of spray paint to give the screws and bolts a uniform hue before returning them to their original storage container.
- Coat the surface with a sealant to make it endure longer.
If you have a respiratory ailment that prevents you from using aerosols, you may want to consider hand-painting your bed frame instead. Follow the instructions below to paint the frame once you’ve prepped it:
- Apply paint in even strokes from left to right by dipping the brush end in acrylic or oil paint. Don’t try to get the full frame in one coat, and don’t apply too much pressure.
- If the metal is uncoated, particularly if it is shiny, fresh, or in poor condition, a primer should be applied.
- Wait for the primer to dry before applying the base coat.
- Put on a second layer of paint when the first has dried. To finish covering the frame, repeat the process.
- Paint the frame’s fasteners.
- The final step is to apply a sealant coat, wait for it to cure, and then put the frame back together.
How to spray paint a brass bed frame
You may desire to update your brass fixtures once they’ve looked in use for a while. The procedure resembles painting on other metals with a few key distinctions. Learn how to spray paint a brass bed frame by following these instructions.
- Clean the brass with steel wool. It cleans the frame of any debris or rust and leaves a rough surface ready to be painted.
- Use the tack cloth to remove the grime. Tack cloth serves a crucial purpose. A lint-free cloth or paper towel might not be able to remove all the dirt, rust, and debris that this does.
- Scrub the frame clean of grease. You should degrease the area of the frame that will be painted. Then, after 10 minutes, you can set it aside to dry completely. The paint won’t adhere properly to the frame if any dirt, grease, or oil is present.
- The use of a bonding primer is recommended. This primer is ideal for use with brass. Spray it on from about 6 to 8 inches away from the frame. Once it has dried, which should take about 24 hours, you may paint the frame.
- Use light strokes of color. Brush on the paint in the same manner as you did the primer. Spray on subsequent layers after allowing the previous ones to dry thoroughly. Do not paint brass using latex paints. Because of this, they don’t adhere to the frame as well. They are also not as sturdy. One could use enamel paint for this purpose.
- Apply a coat of protective spray. This coating should be a clear one and it shouldn’t harm the metal. Apply the coat evenly by spraying back and forth. Drying time is typically under 30 minutes.
- Let the protective coating dry. Reassembling the bed frame can be done when the protective coating has dried.
What To Avoid When Painting A Wooden Bed Frame
If you want to keep your painting mistakes to a minimum while updating your wooden bed frame, you should avoid doing the following.
#1. Not using a cloth in removing dirt and dust
Using a paper towel to clean the bed frame is a common practice, but it might leave behind dust and other particles.
Similarly, lint-free cloths are effective.
Therefore, a tack cloth should be used to guarantee that any and all filth will be removed.
#2. Selecting the incorrect color
What could be more annoying than finishing a project only to realize the color doesn’t complement your frame?
Yes, you can just repaint it, but doing so will require time and energy.
Experts advise against decorating your bedroom with highly saturated colors like orange, vivid green, and red.
Because it would be too much of a disturbance in the otherwise peaceful environment.
Also, it makes sense to avoid certain hues when painting the bed’s frame.
#3. Not disassembling the wooden bed frame
The bed frame should be taken apart if it is possible to do so. Using it can simplify everything significantly.
This is the direction in which every edge and flat surface will point.
However, keep in mind that if you do this, you will want extra room for the undertaking.
#4. Underestimation of the cost
If you think that painting is not costly, that might not be the case.
You may be surprised by the true cost of painting if you assume otherwise.
And if you don’t already have them, you’ll have to go out and buy them.
Best Bed Frames of 2022
Saatva Copenhagen Platform Bed
Who it’s best for:
- Buyers looking for a sturdy bed frame
- Eco-friendly shoppers
- For those who would prefer not put together a replacement frame
- 100% solid hardwood with a luxurious velvet interior.
- Various Cover Choices
- White Glove Service is a delivery service that includes set-up at no additional cost.
Saatva has become widely known for its high-quality luxuries offered at reasonable prices. The Copenhagen, a platform bed made from hardwood that is harvested in a responsible manner and kiln-dried to strengthen its longevity, fits this description perfectly. The perimeter is supported by strengthened side rails and joints that are bolted and bonded in place. For durability, the slats are constructed from ultra-strength plywood.
Three different frame covers are available from Saatva. Soft polyester-cotton velvet in taupe or graphite and all-natural flax linen are two examples. The headboard adds an additional 15 inches to the bed’s height, for a grand total of 39 inches. The headboard is upholstered in its whole, and the legs are made of sturdy steel that has been given a sleek black finish.
We have queen, king, and California king. The Copenhagen does not require a box spring or foundation, but it can be used with Saatva’s Lineal Adjustable Base or another adjustable bed frame.
White Glove delivery is included at no cost with every Saatva purchase within the 48 contiguous states. Full assembly and delivery on the specified date and time are included in the price. Those who purchase the bed and are satisfied with it after the 180-night sleep trial will also be covered by a lifetime warranty on the frame.
DreamCloud Bed Frame with Headboard
Who it’s best for:
- Customers seeking a robust structure
- Fans of the modern aesthetic
- Those who rest better on a low profile frame
- Extra-cushioned, button-tufted headboard
- Avoids the need for box springs
- Made to be quickly put together and taken apart
The Dreamcloud bed’s headboard and footboard are upholstered in a silky fabric and have a traditional button-tufted pattern. You won’t need box springs or any other supplementary supports thanks to the metal frame and wooden slats that make up its top.
The headboard is luxurious and stylish thanks to its upholstery. It comes in both grey and linen, the latter of which is the more common. Easy access to the frame is provided by its low height (just 8 inches) from the floor. There are three different sizes available to customers: full, queen, and king. The frame may be quickly put together or taken apart, which can be convenient for people who are always rearranging their furnishings.
Shipping to any address within the 48 contiguous states is on the house for all Dreamcloud customers. Assembling hardware is included with every frame. Dreamcloud offers a 50-night trial period for its bed frames and headboards, during which time you can try it out risk-free and get a full refund (including shipping costs).
The Bed by Thuma
Who it’s best for:
- People who value ample sub-bed storage
- Those in need of a silent bed frame
- Customers that are looking for a quick and painless assembly experience
- Mattresses are held in place by the felt-lined slats.
- Protect your floors with the sturdy legs of this table that are fitted with cork pads.
- Base made from salvaged wood proudly displays original grain
The Bed by Thuma is a wooden frame that combines minimalistic design with Japanese joinery techniques for maximum durability and ease of assembly. This frame is designed to feel solid and reduce noise with felt-lined slats, cork-padded legs, and hardware-free construction.
The bed’s base is crafted from reclaimed wood that has been left in its natural state, complete with knots and grain. The Pillowboard, a patented foam-padded headboard, is positioned in the frame between the foot and the wall. The pillowboard has a removable, washable polyester cover in two distinct hues.
This frame is constructed without the use of any metal fasteners thanks to traditional Japanese joinery methods used in its construction. These methods not only produce a slick overall look, but they also lessen noise and lengthen a product’s lifespan. Plus, they facilitate a quick and straightforward installation process with no need for extra hardware.
The Bed will arrive in three separate shipping cartons. Putting it together takes most customers only about ten to fifteen minutes and requires tightening just two screws by hand. Thuma provides free shipping to anywhere in the 48 contiguous states, and both a 100-night sleep trial and a lifetime guarantee cover The Bed.
Casper Haven Bed Frame
Who it’s best for:
- Homebody types that read and watch television in bed
- People who like to sleep on upholstered frames
- Those that want to have someone else erect their frame for them
- Fabric made of soft, felted wool
- Foam-padded, tilted headboard to maximize restful sleep.
- Choice between two hues
The Haven Bed Frame from Casper is a stylish frame that was designed with comfort in mind. The fully upholstered model comes with a headboard and is ideal for people who spend a lot of time performing upright activities in bed, such as reading or watching TV.
The Casper Haven Bed Frame is an attractive option because it prioritizes sleeper comfort. The completely upholstered variant with the headboard is perfect for those who spend a lot of time reading or watching television in bed.
Hardwood is used to create the framework that supports the upholstery. The legs have a beech wood construction and a matte black end. The heathered gray and charcoal color options complement the four basic sizes (full, queen, king, and California king) offered by the frame. Thanks to its slatted base, neither a box spring nor a separate foundation are required. Casper advises spot washing with a gentle detergent and cold water for upkeep.
If you also buy a Casper mattress, you may take advantage of a 100-night sleep trial instead of the standard 30. There is a 2-year guarantee on the frame. Within the 48 contiguous states, shipping is $149 and includes White Glove service, which entails the delivery personnel setting up the bed in the bedroom of the customer.
Silk & Snow Wooden Bed Frame
Who it’s best for:
- Easy-to-assemble products are popular among consumers.
- Those who prefer a lower bed height or who have problems climbing into a higher one
- For the minimalist furniture lover
- Composed entirely of sustainably harvested acacia
- The use of Japanese joinery ensures a sleek overall appearance for the frame.
- The height of the platform from the ground is only six inches.
Silk & Snow’s Wooden Bed Frame is a chic choice for those who would rather not spend the money on an upholstered or metal bed frame. The simple style will work well with a variety of different themes.
The structure is constructed entirely of Vietnamese acacia wood. A high-quality, textured finish can be achieved by using this wood species, thanks to its distinctive grain. Japanese joinery, rather of employing screws or nails, is used to assemble the frame, giving it a more polished and finished look. The bed can be purchased as a basic platform bed, or a more expensive version can be had with a headboard.
This bed frame is ideal for those who want to have their mattresses at a lower level to the floor, as the platform is 6 inches from the floor regardless of whether or not a headboard is purchased. Individuals who have problems getting in and out of bed may also benefit from this design. All four standard mattress sizes (twin, full, queen, and king) can be accommodated by the frame. The construction process is completely tool-free.
The customer can keep the frame for 30 nights and return it for a full refund if they aren’t satisfied. There is a five-year guarantee on the frame as well. Silk & Snow provides free shipping to all provinces in Canada and the 48 contiguous states in the US.
GhostBed All-in-One Foundation
Who it’s best for:
- those who want to prop themselves up using a headboard and/or footboard
- Anybody over 230 pounds
- Bed sets are available for anyone who are interested in purchasing one.
- The legs are movable, so the height can be changed to suit your needs.
- The sturdy metal construction can hold up to 4,000 kilograms.
- GhostBed’s unique Comfort Bundle consists of a bed, a box spring, and sheets.
A bed frame built of solid metal will last much longer than any other material. Steel is used for the rails, legs, and slats of the GhostBed All-in-One Foundation. Since the structure can support up to over 2,000 pounds, it is ideal for persons who weigh more than 230 pounds or who have very thick mattresses. Frames in the twin and twin XL sizes have six legs each, while those in the queen and king sizes have nine legs each.
Leg height can be changed anywhere from 9 inches to 15 inches. If you don’t have a lot of place for other furniture in your bedroom, you’ll like the extra space under the frame. Frame is upholstered in soft fabric for a modern, minimalist design. Headboard and footboard brackets are included for your convenience.
The Comfort Bundle from GhostBed includes the All-in-One Foundation and your choice of any available GhostBed mattress in your desired size. Also included in the package are two pillows and a bedding ensemble. Those in need of a new bed set or looking to refresh their bedroom will find this package to be an excellent value. Everywhere in the 48 contiguous states can receive free ground shipment from GhostBed. There’s a guarantee for the next two decades on the structure’s underpinnings.
Nectar Storage Bed
Who it’s best for:
- In a nutshell: someone with a small bedroom.
- For the Headboard Sleeper
- Those that have queen or king sized mattresses
- Two large drawers are installed at the bed’s foot.
- Fabric may be easily cleaned and comes in two different colors
- a three-year guarantee after a 50-night free trial
If you’re short on storage space in your bedroom, the Nectar Storage Bed is an excellent investment. The bed’s structure includes two large, parallel drawers for storage. Each drawer slides open and shut effortlessly because it is set on rollers. When the drawers are full, there is still a good amount of room under the bed.
It has produced wood for the side rails and platform slats and stain-resistant fabric covering much of the frame. The headboard is around 52 inches tall, giving the frame a sleek and contemporary look, and the profile of the bed is very slim. The upholstery can be had in your choice of grey or ivory. Also available are queen, king, and California king sizes in addition to the standard full, queen, and king.
When compared to similar products, Nectar’s Storage Bed is priced competitively, and it ships for free inside the 48 contiguous states. Furthermore, building it is a breeze. There is a 3-year warranty against structural flaws for customers who keep their beds after the 50-night trial period ends.
Birch White Wood Frame
Who it’s best for:
- Any sleeper interested in purchasing a sturdy bed frame
- If you’re looking to buy things that are ethically sourced and won’t hurt the environment,
- Seekers of lasting value
- Made from three distinct species of long-lasting Appalachian hardwood
- Assembly is quick and easy, and no tools are required.
- Products with the Forest Stewardship Council’s seal of approval
If you’re looking for something that will last for years to come, a solid wood bed frame may be the way to go. The Birch White Wood Bed Frame is constructed from three different types of Appalachian hardwood, all of which are well-known for their durability and endurance. Solid maple supports a frame made of yellow pine slats and plywood made from maple and poplar. Wood used in the making of the frame has been verified as being from responsibly managed forests according to a Forest Stewardship Council seal of approval.
Using Japanese joinery techniques, the design makes assembly simple. The joints are designed to decrease the squeaks and creaks that may be expected from a wooden frame, and you won’t need any tools or metal hardware for the assembly process. The bed is not designed to work with any type of headboard.
The low 13″ profile of the bed’s frame allows for plenty of space under the bed to accommodate whatever you need to keep there. There are six options available to customers, all of which are in keeping with industry norms for mattress sizes. Each frame comes with a 5-year warranty, and there is a 100-night sleep trial and free shipping to all 50 states.
Layla Metal Platform Base
Who it’s best for:
- Anybody over 230 pounds
- Gents who sleep hot
- Persons whose sleeping quarters are limited in size
- Capable of supporting up to 1,200 pounds, this sturdy design is made entirely of metal and has anti-sagging reinforcements.
- Plenty of space for storing things under the bed.
- Sleep on it for 120 nights and worry free for 3 years.
Although Layla’s Metal Platform Base appears basic at first glance, its clever and extremely sturdy design sets it apart from other folding bed frames. The exterior structure is made of thick tubular steel, while the inner frame is made of thin, flexible wires to prevent the mattress from sagging. The foundation is a good choice for persons whose weight exceeds 230 pounds, with a weight capability of 600 pounds for the twin and twin XL sizes and 1,200 pounds for the bigger sizes.
It takes only a few minutes to set up the foundation because of how easily it folds up. The bed’s frame is extremely lightweight (a queen size weighs just 40 pounds) and easy to disassemble for storage. When everything is set up, there will be 13 inches of space under the bed. The extra space under the base is ideal for those with limited floor area in their bedrooms.
The Metal Platform Base is a fantastic option for those looking to save money without sacrificing quality. Additionally, all orders placed with Layla receive free standard shipping to any address in the 48 contiguous states. If you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase within 120 nights, we’ll refund your money in full. If you do decide to keep the base, it’s covered by a 3-year warranty against structural faults.
What Makes a Good Bed Frame?
There are a number of aspects that might influence the quality of a bed frame, but longevity and material quality seem to be the most important. The term “durability” is used to describe the bed’s ability to withstand wear and tear over time. If your bed structure can last for many years, your mattress will likely last for many more as well. Stronger frames may also be less prone to creaking and other noises associated with wear and tear. The longevity, aesthetics, and functionality of a frame are all enhanced by high-quality components.
How to Choose a Bed Frame
A mattress needs to be elevated and supported, and this is where the bed frame comes in. While the idea is straightforward, picking out a suitable bed frame for your bedroom may prove more challenging. Understanding which search criteria are most important will streamline your efforts.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Bed Frame
The following are some of the most important considerations to make when selecting a bed frame. They can have an impact on how long it lasts, how easy it is to use, how well it fits in the space, and how much it costs. Despite what some retailers would have you believe, no single bed frame is going to be the best option for your needs. Getting the ideal frame to complement your bedroom set-up can be accomplished by paying attention to the following features instead of marketing fluff.
Can I Buy a Bed Frame Online?
A bed frame can be purchased electronically. Bed frames can be purchased from a variety of retailers, including online retailers, specialty stores, and even some department stores. It’s common practice to be able to buy them online and have them shipped directly to your house.
What Types of Bed Frames are Available?
Bed frames can be found in a variety of materials and designs. It’s important to prioritize quality over everything else, although some bed frames have a more upscale reputation than others.
Bed frames can be found in a wide variety of materials, including wood, metal, and fabric. Upholstered frames are more expensive than unupholstered ones, while wooden frames are more expensive than metal ones. All of these choices, regardless of cost, have the potential to be long-lasting and of great quality. One of the most obvious variations between bed frames made from various materials is their visual appearance.
Bed frames come in a wide range of designs, but the materials used to make them are less varied. The following are examples of some of the most frequent types of bed frames:
- Platform beds are designed to eliminate the need for a box spring by using slats or lattice instead.
- Storage Platforms, like platform beds, are built to be sturdy enough to forego the use of a box spring. Storage drawers or other space-saving features are a distinguishing feature of this style of bed frame.
- Traditional sleigh beds are characterized by a curvy headboard and footboard, hence the name.
- Having a box spring is essential for the stability of a panel bed. The headboard and/or footboard are usually flat.
- The four posts of a canopy bed join together at the top to form a roof. This canopy can be used for decoration or to support curtains.
- A four-poster bed is characterized by four upright posts at its corners. There is some flexibility in the height of these posts.
- The head of an adjustable bed can be raised independently of the foot of the bed, or both ends of the bed can be raised to accommodate a variety of sleeping positions.
Canopy and four-poster frames are commonly regarded as the most luxurious, although consumers may find high-end alternatives for any bed frame designs.
How much do bed frames cost?
Bed frames can be found for as little as $100 to as much as $10,000, with the vast majority costing between $200 and $1,000.
Where can I buy a bed frame?
You can buy a bed frame online through the manufacturer, a furniture store, a mattress store, a home goods store, or a department store. They’re also available at many brick-and-mortar retailers, including furniture stores, mattress stores, and select department stores.
How long do bed frames last?
A bed frame can be purchased from a variety of online retailers including the manufacturer, specialty furniture and mattress shops, general home goods retailers, and even department stores. They’re also available at many brick-and-mortar retailers, including furniture stores, mattress stores, and select department stores.
Which size bed frame is right for me?
A bed frame may be purchased from the manufacturer, a retailer, a retailer of mattresses or other bedding, a retailer of home furnishings, or even a department store. They can also be found at many traditional businesses, such as home furnishings and mattress specialty shops, as well as certain larger department stores.
Do I have to assemble a bed frame myself if I buy it online?
The bed frame you buy online may or may not require assembly. White Glove delivery is a service provided by some businesses at an extra cost; in most cases, it also includes assembly. Since many retailers don’t provide White Glove service, they make their bed frames simple to assemble so that customers aren’t bothered by a drawn-out or difficult process. Many times, the setup process only takes a few minutes.
It’s A Wrap!
Tips for painting a wooden bed frame.
The payoff for completing this endeavor is high.
Just remember that the outcome will change depending on how well you prepared the frame.
You may now skip the prep work and go straight to painting the hardwood bed frame.
Painting a frame requires first cleaning it.
You should also evaluate its current state to determine if the paint may flake off.